Identification Division History - I
August 8, 2008
Millions of fingerprint cards are filed at the FBI’s Criminal Justice Information Services Division, CJIS, formerly the Identification Division...
Mr. Schiff: Millions of fingerprint cards are filed at the FBI’s Criminal Justice Information Services Division, CJIS, formerly the Identification Division...
Mr. Fischer: "The Identification Division was created by Congress in July of 1924.”
Mr. Schiff: Steve Fischer of CJIS located in West Virginia...
Mr. Fischer: "At that time we received over 800,000 fingerprint records from the Federal Prison at Leavenworth and we were instructed to begin a fingerprint repository for the country.”
Mr. Schiff: Fischer says before computers, the FBI had large rooms filled with huge file cabinets loaded with fingerprint cards...
Mr. Fischer: "And hundreds of fingerprint examiners walking through those files with a fingerprint card in their hand looking for a potential match in one of those file cabinets.”
Mr. Schiff: Sometimes it took days or weeks to process fingerprint cards; now with computers it’s done in minutes. I’m Neal Schiff of the Bureau and that’s what’s happening at the “FBI, This Week.”
- 04.28.2017 — FBI, This Week: 2016 Director’s Community Leadership Awards
- 04.28.2017 — Inside the FBI: 2016 Director’s Community Leadership Awards
- 04.24.2017 — El FBI se parece a usted (En Español)
- 04.21.2017 — Los Angeles Diversity Agent Recruiting Radio Ad
- 04.20.2017 — FBI, This Week: Bhadreshkumar Patel Added to Ten Most Wanted Fugitives List