Holiday Scams: If You’re a Victim…
December 23, 2010
If you’re a victim of an Internet scam, you are opening yourself up to a couple of types of losses. Scammers can take your money…they can also take your personal and financial information.
Ms. Ballew: If you’re a victim of an Internet scam, you are opening yourself up to a couple of types of losses. Scammers can take your money…they can also take your personal and financial information.
Mr. Pavelites: “Did they say, ‘Well we’re gonna ship something to your bank, we need to refund your money, so we need your banking information’?”
Ms. Ballew: Charles Pavelites at the FBI says your computer can also be at risk.
Mr. Pavelites: “If they send you an e-mail with an attachment to it and you don’t try and scan it for viruses…”
Ms. Ballew: You could be opening yourself to picking up a piece of malware…
Mr. Pavelites: “Maybe a keylogger or something that will record other important information that you didn’t even give directly to them. Now they’ll get it from your computer, through your keyboard as you type, now they’re getting a method to get into your other accounts.”
Ms. Ballew: Consumers can protect themselves…check your computer…
Mr. Pavelites: “If you used a credit card or a bank account, make sure you get out there and you call that bank, you call the credit card company. Protect whatever information you gave out.”
- 04.21.2017 — Los Angeles Diversity Agent Recruiting Radio Ad
- 04.20.2017 — FBI, This Week: Bhadreshkumar Patel Added to Ten Most Wanted Fugitives List
- 04.18.2017 — Wanted by the FBI: Top Ten Fugitive Bhadreshkumar Chetanbhai Patel
- 04.12.2017 — FBI, This Week: Walter Yovany Gomez Added to Ten Most Wanted Fugitives List
- 04.12.2017 — Se Busca por el FBI: Walter Yovany Gomez en la Lista de los Diez Fugitivos más Buscados