FBI’s International Operations - II
November 6, 2009
The FBI's International Operations Division Assistance Director provides an overview of the roles and responsibilities the division has to the organization and part it plays in fulfilling the FBI's mission.
Mr. Schiff: The FBI helps people ‘round the world. Special Agent Kathy Stearman is an FBI Legal Attaché; first in New Delhi, India and now in Beijing, China. While in India, Stearman worked a big case that involved the Sri Lankan Liberation of Tigers Tamil Elam, known as the LTTE.
Mr. Joyce: “The LTTE had several cells in the United States that were raising funds for terrorist activities in Sri Lanka. So I was fortunate enough to bring Newark agents out to Sri Lanka, worked very closely with the Sri Lankan government to obtain evidence against these subjects, who were subsequently prosecuted.”
Mr. Schiff: Stearman says she’s proud the FBI played a role in moving the peace process forward.
Mr. Joyce: “The LTTE has been pushed back by the Sri Lankan government, and that civil unrest is basically over.”
Mr. Schiff: The FBI has 61 Legat offices around the world. I’m Neal Schiff of the Bureau, and that’s what’s happening at the “FBI, This Week.”
- 01.12.2017 — FBI, This Week: Organized Retail Crime Can Create Health Dangers for Consumers
- 01.05.2017 — FBI, This Week: Highway Serial Killings Initiative
- 12.29.2016 — FBI, This Week: Report Border Corruption
- 12.23.2016 — Se Busca por el FBI: Robert Francis Van Wisse en la Lista de los Diez Fugitivos más Buscados
- 12.22.2016 — FBI, This Week: Don’t Turn a Blind Eye, Report Border Corruption to the FBI