FBI’s International Operations - II
November 6, 2009
The FBI's International Operations Division Assistance Director provides an overview of the roles and responsibilities the division has to the organization and part it plays in fulfilling the FBI's mission.
Mr. Schiff: The FBI helps people ‘round the world. Special Agent Kathy Stearman is an FBI Legal Attaché; first in New Delhi, India and now in Beijing, China. While in India, Stearman worked a big case that involved the Sri Lankan Liberation of Tigers Tamil Elam, known as the LTTE.
Mr. Joyce: “The LTTE had several cells in the United States that were raising funds for terrorist activities in Sri Lanka. So I was fortunate enough to bring Newark agents out to Sri Lanka, worked very closely with the Sri Lankan government to obtain evidence against these subjects, who were subsequently prosecuted.”
Mr. Schiff: Stearman says she’s proud the FBI played a role in moving the peace process forward.
Mr. Joyce: “The LTTE has been pushed back by the Sri Lankan government, and that civil unrest is basically over.”
Mr. Schiff: The FBI has 61 Legat offices around the world. I’m Neal Schiff of the Bureau, and that’s what’s happening at the “FBI, This Week.”
- 07.27.2017 — FBI, This Week: One-Year Anniversary of Prescription Drug Initiative
- 07.26.2017 — Esta Semana en el FBI: Hogan’s Alley—El Pueblo Más Malo en América
- 07.21.2017 — Se Busca por el FBI: Se Ofrece Recompensa en la Investigación del Homicidio de Maurice Spagnoletti
- 07.20.2017 — FBI, This Week: AlphaBay Criminal Marketplace Takedown
- 07.19.2017 — Esta Semana en el FBI: La Academia Nacional Marca un Hito