FBI’s International Operations - I
October 30, 2009
The FBI provides an overview of the role and responsibilities fulfilled by the International Operations Division and how the program has grown over recent years.
Mr. Schiff: The FBI first had offices outside of the United States in the early 1940s. Now the FBI’s International Operations Division, I-O-D, has more than 60 Legal Attaché offices outside of the U.S.
Mr. Joyce: “Our role really is to pursue the FBI’s mission overseas.
Mr. Schiff: That’s Sean Joyce, the Assistant Director of the I-O-D.
Mr. Joyce: “Specifically to confront and defeat threats to our national security [and] the criminal organizations that exist abroad that affect the United States and the United States’ interests.”
Mr. Schiff: Joyce says the FBI’s Legal Attaché’s, known as Legats, are in constant contact with other federal agencies, Interpol, and police agencies around the world.
Mr. Joyce: Whether that’s part of the counterterrorism mission, the counterintelligence mission, or the criminal mission.”
Mr. Schiff: On the Internet at www.fbi.gov there is a lot of information about the FBI’s international operations and Legat offices. I’m Neal Schiff of the Bureau, and that’s what’s happening at the “FBI, This Week.”
- 07.21.2017 — Se Busca por el FBI: Se Ofrece Recompensa en la Investigación del Homicidio de Maurice Spagnoletti
- 07.20.2017 — FBI, This Week: AlphaBay Criminal Marketplace Takedown
- 07.19.2017 — Esta Semana en el FBI: La Academia Nacional Marca un Hito
- 07.17.2017 — Voice of Unknown Subject in Indiana Murder Investigation
- 07.14.2017 — Gotcha: Couple Sentenced in Massive Health Care Fraud Scheme