FBI’s International Operations - I
October 30, 2009
The FBI provides an overview of the role and responsibilities fulfilled by the International Operations Division and how the program has grown over recent years.
Mr. Schiff: The FBI first had offices outside of the United States in the early 1940s. Now the FBI’s International Operations Division, I-O-D, has more than 60 Legal Attaché offices outside of the U.S.
Mr. Joyce: “Our role really is to pursue the FBI’s mission overseas.
Mr. Schiff: That’s Sean Joyce, the Assistant Director of the I-O-D.
Mr. Joyce: “Specifically to confront and defeat threats to our national security [and] the criminal organizations that exist abroad that affect the United States and the United States’ interests.”
Mr. Schiff: Joyce says the FBI’s Legal Attaché’s, known as Legats, are in constant contact with other federal agencies, Interpol, and police agencies around the world.
Mr. Joyce: Whether that’s part of the counterterrorism mission, the counterintelligence mission, or the criminal mission.”
Mr. Schiff: On the Internet at www.fbi.gov there is a lot of information about the FBI’s international operations and Legat offices. I’m Neal Schiff of the Bureau, and that’s what’s happening at the “FBI, This Week.”
- 04.24.2017 — El FBI se parece a usted (En Español)
- 04.21.2017 — Los Angeles Diversity Agent Recruiting Radio Ad
- 04.20.2017 — FBI, This Week: Bhadreshkumar Patel Added to Ten Most Wanted Fugitives List
- 04.18.2017 — Wanted by the FBI: Top Ten Fugitive Bhadreshkumar Chetanbhai Patel
- 04.12.2017 — FBI, This Week: Walter Yovany Gomez Added to Ten Most Wanted Fugitives List