FBI Combats Violent Crime
December 6, 2013
The FBI is taking an intelligence-driven and proactive approach to combating some of America’s most violent offenders.
Mollie Halpern: The FBI is taking an intelligence-driven and proactive approach to combating some of America’s most violent offenders.
John Kitzinger: These are robbery crews that are involved in pattern robberies that are using weapons. An example—if they were to pistol whip employees and terrorize people and put guns to their heads.
Halpern: FBI Violent Crimes Task Forces are targeting individuals and criminal enterprises that commit armed robbery of commercial businesses. The Hobbs Act of 1946 is a powerful tool against these offenders because the federal law carries significant sentences. Faced with 20-year or even life sentences, the offenders often enter into a cooperation agreement with the government. John Kitzinger is the chief of the Violent Crime Unit at FBI Headquarters.
Kitzinger: Part of that agreement is for them not just to provide information about the crimes that they've committed, but information about other crimes that the government is not aware of. That intelligence is obtained and provided directly to law enforcement to further other investigations.
Halpern: The use of the old law is helping the FBI task forces gain new intelligence into unsolved shootings, murders, sexual assaults, and more. Partnership between the FBI, local law enforcement, and the United States Attorney’s Office is key to the success of these cases. From FBI Headquarters, I’m Mollie Halpern of the Bureau with FBI, This Week.
- 03.21.2019 — FBI, This Week: Women’s History Month
- 03.14.2019 — Wanted by the FBI: Another Milestone for the Ten Most Wanted Fugitives List
- 03.13.2019 — FBI, This Week: Director Wray Mandates Visit to 9/11 Memorial and Museum for Trainees
- 03.08.2019 — FBI, This Week: Bureau Participates in Largest Nationwide Elder Fraud Sweep to Date
- 03.08.2019 — Esta Semana en el FBI: Recopilación en Curso de Información Acerca del Uso de la Fuerza Policial a Nivel Nacional