Comey Sworn in as FBI Director
September 6, 2013
James B. Comey was sworn in on September 4, 2013 as the seventh FBI Director in the Bureau’s modern era.
Mollie Halpern: In one of his first acts as FBI Director, Jamey Comey outlined his expectations for Bureau employees.
Director James Comey: I expect that you will work hard. Your work, no matter what you do here, is to do good. Your work is to protect the innocent from harm of all kinds.
Halpern: I’m Mollie Halpern of the Bureau, and this is FBI, This Week. The former deputy attorney general was sworn in as the seventh director of the FBI in the Bureau’s modern era. Mr. Comey took his oath of office in a ceremony at the U.S. Department of Justice in Washington, D.C. on September 4.
Director Comey: I, James B. Comey, [Attorney General Eric Holder: do solemnly swear] do solemnly swear [Holder: that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States] that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States [Holder: against all enemies, foreign and domestic] against all enemies, foreign and domestic…
Halpern: After his oath, Director Comey was presented with his FBI credentials.
Director Comey: And I’m so excited to be working again with the people of the FBI and serving the American people.
Halpern: Comey succeeds Robert S. Mueller, III, who served as FBI Director for unprecedented 12-year tenure.
- 09.29.2016 — Wanted by the FBI: Leonard Rayne Moses
- 09.22.2016 — FBI, This Week: Prescription Opioid and Heroin Epidemic Awareness Week
- 09.22.2016 — Wanted by the FBI: Walter Yovany Gomez
- 09.16.2016 — Inside the FBI: Comey’s Remarks at the 10th Anniversary of the National Security Division
- 09.16.2016 — FBI, This Week: The FBI’s Strategy to Combat the Evolving Terror Threat