Stealing from His Own Mother
September 10, 2010
This case is about an individual—a son—who was a trustee for his mother’s finances…
Ms. Ballew: This case is about an individual—a son—who was a trustee for his mother’s finances…
Mr. Gentine: “He stole every bit of it, to basically gamble. In fact, he was wiring some of the money to facilities outside the U.S.”
Ms. Ballew: Most of the gambling was online sports betting. Scott Gentine, special agent from FBI Kansas City, says the mother received a bank statement saying she was overdrawn.
Mr. Gentine: “She went to the bank, discovered she had $170 left to her name. She then notified her niece, and upon their investigation, discovered that all the money had been wired away.”
Ms. Ballew: More than trust fund money was stolen from the now-83-year-old mom…
Mr. Gentine: “Her sole ability to provide for herself, including her life insurance policy which he borrowed $58,000 against. He had also sold 80 acres of her land, which had been in the family for generations.”
Ms. Ballew: Guilty on 11 counts of bank fraud. Thirty months in prison and restitution of over half-a-million dollars. I’m Denise Ballew of the Bureau, and that’s the FBI’s Closed Case of the Week.
- 04.28.2017 — FBI, This Week: 2016 Director’s Community Leadership Awards
- 04.28.2017 — Inside the FBI: 2016 Director’s Community Leadership Awards
- 04.24.2017 — El FBI se parece a usted (En Español)
- 04.21.2017 — Los Angeles Diversity Agent Recruiting Radio Ad
- 04.20.2017 — FBI, This Week: Bhadreshkumar Patel Added to Ten Most Wanted Fugitives List