Stealing from His Own Mother
September 10, 2010
This case is about an individual—a son—who was a trustee for his mother’s finances…
Ms. Ballew: This case is about an individual—a son—who was a trustee for his mother’s finances…
Mr. Gentine: “He stole every bit of it, to basically gamble. In fact, he was wiring some of the money to facilities outside the U.S.”
Ms. Ballew: Most of the gambling was online sports betting. Scott Gentine, special agent from FBI Kansas City, says the mother received a bank statement saying she was overdrawn.
Mr. Gentine: “She went to the bank, discovered she had $170 left to her name. She then notified her niece, and upon their investigation, discovered that all the money had been wired away.”
Ms. Ballew: More than trust fund money was stolen from the now-83-year-old mom…
Mr. Gentine: “Her sole ability to provide for herself, including her life insurance policy which he borrowed $58,000 against. He had also sold 80 acres of her land, which had been in the family for generations.”
Ms. Ballew: Guilty on 11 counts of bank fraud. Thirty months in prison and restitution of over half-a-million dollars. I’m Denise Ballew of the Bureau, and that’s the FBI’s Closed Case of the Week.
- 06.14.2018 — FBI, This Week: Director Wray Responds to Inspector General’s Report
- 06.08.2018 — FBI, This Week: Remembering David LeValley as 9/11-Related Deaths Increase
- 05.31.2018 — FBI, This Week: Malware Targets Internet and Cable Routers
- 05.31.2018 — Esta Semana en el FBI: Por Medio de una Campaña se Abordan las Consecuencias de las Amenaza
- 05.25.2018 — Esta Semana en el FBI: La Alianza con NCMEC Ayuda a Proteger a los Menores de Edad