North Carolina MS-13 Cases
March 28, 2011
Seven members of a violent gang received stiff sentences for a range of crimes from drug trafficking to murder.
Mollie Halpern: Seven members of a violent gang received stiff sentences for a range of crimes from drug trafficking to murder. Those are just some of the results of long-term investigations in North Carolina into the La Mara Salvatrucha gang, known as MS-13.
William “Chuck” Hastings: We definitely took a notch out of MS-13.
Halpern: I’m Mollie Halpern of the FBI, and you’re listening to “Gotcha.” The FBI’s Safe Street Gang Task Force from North Carolina used three confidential informants, surveillance, and wire-taps to help with the investigations. Task force member William “Chuck” Hastings…
Hastings: Being able to retrieve that video and audio was instrumental in the whole case.
Halpern: The 2010 case of a gang member known as “Wizard” stands out to Hastings.
Hastings: He shot and killed two innocent brothers.
Halpern: Wizard was the first MS-13 member in the country to receive the death penalty. Another 24 MS-13 members originally charged in the 2008 indictment are now behind bars.
- 07.21.2017 — Se Busca por el FBI: Se Ofrece Recompensa en la Investigación del Homicidio de Maurice Spagnoletti
- 07.20.2017 — FBI, This Week: AlphaBay Criminal Marketplace Takedown
- 07.19.2017 — Esta Semana en el FBI: La Academia Nacional Marca un Hito
- 07.17.2017 — Voice of Unknown Subject in Indiana Murder Investigation
- 07.14.2017 — Gotcha: Couple Sentenced in Massive Health Care Fraud Scheme