Naturalized U.S. Citizen Betrays Country
July 27, 2012
It’s a case about a naturalized U.S. citizen who turned his back on America to work for the Syrian government.
Mollie Halpern: It’s a case about a naturalized U.S. citizen who turned his back on America to work for the Syrian government—which has been designated a state sponsor of terrorism.
Richard Evanchec: Ultimately we’ll continue to pursue anyone in the U.S. who illegally acts as an agent of a government other than our own.
Halpern: I’m Mollie Halpern and this is Gotcha, the FBI’s closed case of the week. Mohamad Soueid of Leesburg, Virginia collected information on people in America and Syria who were protesting against the Syrian government. He turned that information over to the Syrian president and intelligence officials. Case agent Richard Evanchec says Soueid tried to thwart the year-long FBI investigation…
Evanchec: It’s a goal of these operatives to conceal their activities. In our case we’re aware that Mr. Soueid destroyed evidence in this case, we’re aware from our own interactions with him that he actually lied to U.S. government employees, including FBI agents.
Halpern: In the end, Soueid pled guilty and was sentenced to 18 months in prison. For more information on this case visit www.fbi.gov.
- 01.12.2017 — FBI, This Week: Organized Retail Crime Can Create Health Dangers for Consumers
- 01.05.2017 — FBI, This Week: Highway Serial Killings Initiative
- 12.29.2016 — FBI, This Week: Report Border Corruption
- 12.23.2016 — Se Busca por el FBI: Robert Francis Van Wisse en la Lista de los Diez Fugitivos más Buscados
- 12.22.2016 — FBI, This Week: Don’t Turn a Blind Eye, Report Border Corruption to the FBI