Katrina Internet Scam - I
February 29, 2008
A Katrina-related scam that involved two men, the Internet, victims and $48,000…
Mr. Schiff: A Katrina-related scam that involved two men, the Internet, victims and $48,000…
Mr. Hambrick: "There was a web site that was set-up to collect donations."
Mr. Schiff: That's the Chief of the FBI's Internet Crime Complaint Center, John Hambrick…
Mr. Hambrick: "And that web site was totally fictitious."
Mr. Schiff: Hambrick says complaints came into the center, known as IC3…
Mr. Hambrick: "The web site was spoofing a legitimate company who is set up to help out victims of disasters like this."
Mr. Schiff: To find the fraudsters, Hambrick says FBI Agents worked two avenues…
Mr. Hambrick: "We tracked them down through the funds; tracking where the money ultimately ended up. It's often the case that we interface with Internet service providers and telecom companies to track the subjects upstream."
Mr. Schiff: Two subjects were eventually arrested and convicted on Conspiracy, Wire Fraud and Aggravated Identity Theft. By the way, report Internet crimes at www.IC3.gov. I'm Neal Schiff of the Bureau and that's the FBI's Closed Case of the Week."
- 07.12.2018 — Se Busca por el FBI: Antwan Mims ha Sido Agregado a la Lista de los Diez Prófugos más Buscados
- 07.12.2018 — FBI, This Week: National Skimming Initiative Launched
- 07.06.2018 — FBI, This Week: 2018 Honors Internship Program
- 06.27.2018 — FBI, This Week: Antwan Mims Added to Ten Most Wanted Fugitives List
- 06.27.2018 — Wanted by the FBI: Reward Available for Ten Most Wanted Fugitive Antwan Mims