Half-Million Dollars Embezzlement- II
July 31, 2009
Investors from Pennsylvania and Connecticut got taken for a lot of money by a man who lied.
Mr. Schiff: Investors from Pennsylvania and Connecticut got taken for a lot of money by a man who lied.
Mr. McKenna: "This case involves roughly a $500,000 fraud on the part of the subject against three different victims.”
Mr. Schiff: Special Agent John McKenna at the Bridgeport, Connecticut FBI office. He investigated this theft of investor money. He says the subject had a jewelry business and got the money from the unknowing victims to help the business.
Mr. McKenna: "He diverted some of the funds to a real estate project without telling the investors about that.”
Mr. Schiff: Well, the real estate project collapsed. The subject was in debt big-time. McKenna says a lien was placed on this expensive property and the investors were told they weren’t going to get their money back.
Mr. McKenna: "At that point the two Pennsylvania victims came to the FBI in Bridgeport, Connecticut and complained that they felt they had been defrauded.”
Mr. Schiff: The fraudulent jewelry business owner was sentenced to 20 months in prison and ordered to pay back the money after pleading guilty to Interstate Transportation of Money Obtained by Fraud. I’m Neal Schiff of the Bureau, and that’s the FBI’s Closed Case of the Week.
- 02.14.2019 — FBI, This Week: Partnerships Help Prevent Illicit Streaming
- 02.08.2019 — Se Busca Por el FBI: Hasta $3 Millones de Recompensa por Hossein Ahmad Larijani
- 02.08.2019 — Esta Semana en el FBI: Publicación de las Estadísticas de 2017 de Delitos Motivados por el Odio
- 02.08.2019 — FBI, This Week: Celebrating the 100th Anniversary of African-American Special Agents
- 01.31.2019 — FBI, This Week: Trade Secret Theft Protection and Prevention Safeguards