Dead or Alive?
April 22, 2011
It’s an international case involving lies, greed, and affairs.
Mollie Halpern: It’s an international case involving lies, greed, and affairs.
Special Agent Matt Miller: The judge who just sentenced the guy said, “This reads like a novel.”
Halpern: I’m Mollie Halpern of the FBI and this is “Gotcha.” Vig Misir and his then-wife devised an elaborate plan to take out life insurance policies worth $7 million, fake his death while on vacation in Malaysia, and then collect the proceeds. Special Agent Matt Miller…
Miller: The story was he ate some shellfish and then he was taken ill with food poisoning and then he died.
Halpern: The couple conspired to get a real death certificate.
Miller: He met with some people over there who were going to help him pay off the local police.
Halpern: Misir’s wife came back to the U.S. and collected the proceeds. But, the couple cheated on each other and Misir never received the money. He was left hiding in Indonesia for five years without resources. Investigators tracked him down when he went to the U.S. Embassy to renew his passport.
Miller: He said he was tired of being on the run.
Halpern: Misir was charged with conspiracy to commit mail fraud when the insurance company mailed the checks. He was sentenced in April to 36 months in prison with three years of supervised release.
- 10.18.2016 — FBI, This Week: Statistics Released - Law Enforcement Officers Killed and Assaulted, 2015
- 10.18.2016 — FBI, This Week: Operation Cross Country X
- 10.14.2016 — Esta Semana en el FBI: Aprovechamiento de los Lingüistas en las Investigaciones del FBI
- 10.14.2016 — FBI, This Week: Social Engineering
- 10.06.2016 — Wanted by the FBI: Alfonso Diaz-Juarez