Bank Bilked for $5.6 Million - I
February 15, 2008
FBI Special Agent Chip Cromer in Atlanta investigated a bank that got taken for a lot of money…
Mr. Schiff: It's all about money. FBI Special Agent Chip Cromer in Atlanta investigated a bank that got taken for a lot of money…
Mr. Cromer: "About $5.6 million."
Mr. Schiff: Cromer says that a man who owned a company turned out to be the embezzler…
Mr. Cromer: "His company had been successful in years past. He had been awarded the Small Business Minority Businessman of the Year in the past. He had a good company and I think what happened was that he had fallen on some hard times and the company wasn't doing as good as he would have liked which means he would have to change his lifestyle."
Mr. Schiff: Cromer says a bank audit found a problem…
Mr. Cromer: "They had found there was some potential fraud that they had uncovered and so one of the security officer's that I had been dealing with gave me a call and said he wanted us to help him look into it."
Mr. Schiff: Cromer says FBI Agents were not able to examine all the subject's records…
Mr. Cromer: "We were not able to that in this case because the computers had already been destroyed when we got involved in the case."
Mr. Schiff: The subject eventually surrendered. He was convicted on 32 counts of bank fraud, sentenced to 10-years in prison, and ordered to pay back more than $5.5 million to the bank. I'm Neal Schiff of the Bureau and that's the FBI's Closed Case of the Week."
- 01.19.2017 — FBI, This Week: National Slavery and Human Trafficking Prevention Month
- 01.12.2017 — FBI, This Week: Organized Retail Crime Can Create Health Dangers for Consumers
- 01.05.2017 — FBI, This Week: Highway Serial Killings Initiative
- 12.29.2016 — FBI, This Week: Report Border Corruption
- 12.23.2016 — Se Busca por el FBI: Robert Francis Van Wisse en la Lista de los Diez Fugitivos más Buscados