A Poisonous Plan
March 20, 2013
FBI investigators uncover a Chicago man’s poisonous plan to murder his wife.
Mollie Halpern: FBI investigators uncover a Chicago man’s poisonous plan to murder his wife.
I’m Mollie Halpern, and this is Gotcha, the FBI’s closed case of the week.
Edward Bachner posed as a doctor when he ordered Tetrodotoxin, or TTX, from a biotechnology company. TTX comes from puffer fish and is considered a weapon of mass destruction. Case agent Davis Christy says agents executed search warrants for Bachner’s property.
Davis Christy: We mobilized our Hazardous Materials Response Team to conduct a joint search with our Evidence Response Team.
Halpern: Agents recovered enough TTX in Bachner’s house to kill about 100 people. The investigation also revealed that Bachner had bought a $20 million life insurance policy on his wife.
Christy: He represented himself as an agent for his wife, then lied, saying that his wife was worth a lot more than what she really did.
Halpern: Examination of Bachner’s finances showed he also cheated on his taxes. Bachner was sentenced to nearly eight years in prison and ordered to pay a half-million dollars in restitution to the IRS.
- 04.21.2017 — Los Angeles Diversity Agent Recruiting Radio Ad
- 04.20.2017 — FBI, This Week: Bhadreshkumar Patel Added to Ten Most Wanted Fugitives List
- 04.18.2017 — Wanted by the FBI: Top Ten Fugitive Bhadreshkumar Chetanbhai Patel
- 04.12.2017 — FBI, This Week: Walter Yovany Gomez Added to Ten Most Wanted Fugitives List
- 04.12.2017 — Se Busca por el FBI: Walter Yovany Gomez en la Lista de los Diez Fugitivos más Buscados