$384,000 Embezzled from a Church - I
February 5, 2010
An employee at a Louisiana church steals thousands of dollars.
Mr. Schiff: An employee at a Louisiana church steals thousands of dollars.
Mr. Gavurnik: "$384,032.78 was stolen from the church.”
Mr. Schiff: That’s FBI Special Agent Andrew Gavurnik in Lake Charles, Louisiana. He says his office got a call and then determined that the church’s financial secretary committed federal crimes.
Mr. Gavurnik: "Some of the money wires and some of the mailings that were used to move money around and to make payments on accounts that were affected by this crime went across state lines.”
Mr. Schiff: Gavurnik says an audit team found the fraudulent transactions after the finance secretary was no longer employed at the church.
Mr. Gavurnik: "Checks were written to her, when the financial records showed they were written to somebody else entirely different. She would use those checks to deposit that money into her own accounts.”
Mr. Schiff: The subject spent the money on expensive items, including a car. The woman faced 22 counts of wire fraud and mail fraud and later pleaded guilty to two counts of each. She’s been sentenced to more than four years in prison and has to pay back all the money. I’m Neal Schiff of the Bureau, and that’s the FBI’s Closed Case of the Week.
- 07.20.2017 — FBI, This Week: AlphaBay Criminal Marketplace Takedown
- 07.19.2017 — Esta Semana en el FBI: La Academia Nacional Marca un Hito
- 07.17.2017 — Voice of Unknown Subject in Indiana Murder Investigation
- 07.14.2017 — Gotcha: Couple Sentenced in Massive Health Care Fraud Scheme
- 07.13.2017 — FBI, This Week: Historic Nationwide Health Care Fraud Takedown