Gotcha: Couple Sentenced in Massive Health Care Fraud Scheme
July 14, 2017
A husband and wife from Florida are serving prison time for their roles in the country’s first-of-its-kind case involving both health care fraud and sex trafficking.
Mollie Halpern: A husband and wife from Florida are serving prison time for their roles in the country’s first-of-its-kind case involving both health care fraud and sex trafficking.
Kenneth and Laura Chatman owned housing and alcohol and drug addiction treatment centers meant to provide young patients with medical and clinical services.
Instead, Kenny gave some of his patients drugs, coerced them into prostitution, and filed more than $70 million worth of fraudulent claims to their insurance plans.
Case agent William Stewart says more than a dozen of Kenny's patients died from overdoses.
William Stewart: He really preyed on these individuals and their addiction. He made money off of their helplessness and off of their addiction.
Halpern: Investigators pored over financial and insurance records to find evidence of the Chatmans’ and their co-conspirators’ crimes.
It was a collaborative effort between all levels of law enforcement.
Stewart: Without their resources coming together with our resources, and their experience, we absolutely could not have handled the scope of this problem.
Mollie Halpern: Kenny and Laura Chatman enjoyed lavish lifestyles but now live behind bars as they were sentenced to 27 and three years in prison, respectively.
I’m Mollie Halpern of the FBI with Gotcha, featuring the Bureau’s closed cases.
- 11.08.2018 — FBI, This Week: Serving with STEM
- 11.07.2018 — Wanted by the FBI: Search Intensifies for Ten Most Wanted Fugitive Greg Carlson
- 11.02.2018 — FBI, This Week: FBI Combats Chinese Economic Espionage as Part of New Initiative
- 11.01.2018 — Esta Semana en el FBI: El FBI Patrocina Eventos Relacionados con su Programa de Promoción de Diversidad en el Reclutamiento de Agentes Especiales
- 10.26.2018 — FBI, This Week: The Chief Information Security Officer Academy