National Virtual Translation Center
The FBI-managed National Virtual Translation Center (NVTC) provides timely, accurate, and cost-effective translations for the U.S. Intelligence Community and other federal agencies. NVTC’s highly trained and carefully vetted linguists process source material in various formats, such as handwritten or electronic documents.
Established by Congress, the NVTC offers:
- A tried-and-tested workflow methodology
- An expert team of linguists at all security clearance levels
- A supplement to in-house agency translation offices
- A robust quality control program
- The latest human-language technology tools to deliver accurate translations in more than 120 languages.
We primarily serve the U.S. Intelligence Community and military organizations. However, all other federal organizations may contact us to discuss potential translation support on a reimbursable basis.
While NVTC linguists can translate all types of material, NVTC linguists cannot appear in court, so please contact us if you need support for an ongoing investigation.
Our linguists are highly qualified translators, and all translations go through additional review, unless waived by the customer.
NVTC offers flexibility and surge capability to meet customer needs, and our linguists have specialized tools to allow for rapid translations.
- Cost Effective
Most translations are done at no cost to the customer.
- Customer Support
Customers have access to an online workflow system and a dedicated point of contact.
Customer Bill of Rights
- The right to expect a quality product.
The NVTC has a robust quality assurance program that delivers timely and accurate translations. All linguists are tested and have, at a minimum, professional-level language proficiency.
- The right to expect results.
The NVTC supports your mission and provides tailored service to meet your requirements.
- The right to excellent customer service.
NVTC staff is committed to providing outstanding service every day. This includes accurate, complete, and timely information delivered professionally and with a positive attitude by knowledgeable staff.
- The right to transparency.
NVTC uses technology to provide real-time visibility into projects. NVTC strives to provide prompt status updates, funding reports, and access to relevant documentation.
- The right to prompt issue resolution.
All issues will be investigated and actions will be clearly communicated.
- The right to secure information handling.
The NVTC performs work at all classification levels and does not store any of the translations or source documents past 90 days of project completion. Linguists have no knowledge of the customer unless the NVTC obtains prior consent from the customer.
- Location: NVTC linguists work throughout the U.S. Those working with classified materials receive work via secure channels at government facilities. Linguists doing unclassified work can from various locations, including home.
- Hours: Work hours depend on the NVTC's needs and your availability.
- Pay: Pay is determined by the language you work in, test scores, and classification of material.
Apply to be an NVTC linguist by emailing your resume to NVTC-Jobs@NVTC.gov. Include your language(s), proficiency, and list your security clearance level, if you have one. You must be a U.S. citizen to apply.