As an intelligence-driven and a threat-focused national security organization with both intelligence and law enforcement responsibilities, the mission of the FBI is to protect and defend the United States against terrorist and foreign intelligence threats, to uphold and enforce the criminal laws of the United States, and to provide leadership and criminal justice services to federal, state, municipal, and international agencies and partners.
The FBI focuses on threats that challenge the foundations of American society or involve dangers too large or complex for any local or state authority to handle alone. In executing the following priorities, the FBI—as both a national security and law enforcement organization—will produce and use intelligence to protect the nation from threats and to bring to justice those who violate the law.
1. Protect the United States from terrorist attack
2. Protect the United States against foreign intelligence operations and espionage
3. Protect the United States against cyber-based attacks and high-technology crimes
4. Combat public corruption at all levels
5. Protect civil rights
6. Combat transnational/national criminal organizations and enterprises
7. Combat major white-collar crime
8. Combat significant violent crime
9. Support federal, state, local and international partners
10. Upgrade technology to successfully perform the FBI’s mission
Our People & Leadership
The FBI employs nearly 35,000 people, including special agents and support professionals such as intelligence analysts, language specialists, scientists, and information technology specialists. Learn how you can join us at FBIJobs.gov. For details on our leadership, see the FBI Executives webpage.
We work literally around the globe. Along with our Headquarters in Washington, D.C., we have 56 field offices located in major cities throughout the U.S., approximately 360 smaller offices called resident agencies in cities and towns across the nation, and more than 60 international offices called legal attachés in U.S. embassies worldwide.
In fiscal year 2014, our total direct-funded budget is approximately $8.3 billion, including increases to enhance our cyber, counter-IED (improvised explosive device), firearms background check, and other programs.
“Fidelity, Bravery, and Integrity.” Learn about the origins of this motto.
Our Core Values
- Rigorous obedience to the Constitution of the United States;
- Respect for the dignity of all those we protect;
- Uncompromising personal integrity and institutional integrity;
- Accountability by accepting responsibility for our actions and decisions and the consequences of our actions and decisions;
- Leadership, both personal and professional; and
For more information: