Grandpa Bandit Hits Fifth Bank Tuesday
Reward Increased to $10,000
|FBI Portland December 22, 2009|
The Oregon Financial Institutions Security Task Force (FIST) and Bank of America are now offering a reward of up to $10,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of a serial bank robbery nicknamed the "Grandpa Bandit" after he robbed what investigators believe was his fifth bank today in Hillsboro. The previous four robberies were in Salem, Sherwood and West Linn.
The man, nicknamed the "Grandpa Bandit", robbed the Bank of America branch located at 1375 NW 185th Avenue in Hillsboro at about 3:10 p.m.. He is also suspected in four other robberies:
- October 14, 2009—Key Bank branch located at 750 Lancaster Drive NE in Salem
- October 29, 2009—Bank of America branch located at 3803 Center Street NE in Salem
- December 2, 2009—Bank of America branch located at 15961 SW Tualatin-Sherwood Road in Sherwood
- December 10, 2009—Bank of America located at 19181 Willamette Drive in West Linn
Although he did not show a weapon in today’s robbery, he has threatened tellers in previous robberies. In one instance, investigators believe that he threatened to kill a teller as he showed her a weapon in his waistband.
Witnesses describe him as:
- White man
- Height: 5'8"-5'10"
- Weight: 160—180 pounds
- Hair: Gray
- Eyes: Light, possibly hazel
- Wearing: Dark blue zip-up hoodie, Hawaiian-print shirt, jeans, glasses, possibly sunglasses propped up on his head
Anyone with information is asked to call the FBI in Salem at (503) 362-6601 during normal business hours or the FBI in Portland at (503) 224-4181 24 hours a day.
FIST is a cooperative effort made up of representatives from banks, savings and loans, and credit unions, as well as representatives from local, state and federal law enforcement agencies. The purpose of FIST is to help reduce crimes.