Imperial Gangster Gang Member Charged with Murder
|U.S. Attorney’s Office September 04, 2013|
HAMMOND, IN—United States Attorney David Capp announced that Raymond Campos, a member of the Imperial Gangster street gang, pled guilty today in U.S. District Court to racketeering conspiracy. Campos admitted to being a member of the Imperial Gangsters and participating in the operation of that criminal enterprise through shootings and homicides. Campos also agreed to cooperate with the government in its ongoing investigation into criminal gangs.
In addition to his plea of guilty to the RICO conspiracy, Campos also pled guilty to murder in aid of racketeering activity that was charged in a separate information. Campos admitted to the murder of Steven Rodriguez in East Chicago on February 9, 2002. Rodriguez was 14 years of age at the time of his death.
The Rodriguez homicide is the 20th previously uncharged homicide that the United States Attorney’s Office has charged in its ongoing efforts against organized street gangs, particularly the Imperial Gangsters and Latin Kings.
United States Attorney David Capp stated, “It does not matter how long ago some of these homicides may have occurred. We are actively investigating any number of cold homicides. When the evidence warrants, we will seek indictments. It is our intention to keep the pressure on these organized street gangs and hold them accountable for their criminal acts, regardless of when they occurred.”
There are 20 previously uncharged homicides being dealt with in federal court. Those attributed to members of the Imperial Gangster street gang are:
1. Steven Rodriguez, February 9, 2002, in East Chicago
2. Anuar Paez, July 24, 2004, in East Chicago
3. Guadalupe Trevino, July 24, 2005, in Gary
4. Juan Murillo, Sr., March 22, 2007, in East Chicago
5. Rene Alonzo, September 16, 2007, in East Chicago
6. Luis Ortiz, September 26, 2007, in Hammond
7. Mario Soriano, March 25, 2008, in East Chicago
8. Michael Sessum, June 3, 2008, in East Chicago
9. Miguel Meijias, June 3, 2008, in East Chicago
10. Harris Brown, October 9, 2008, in East Chicago
11. Miguel Colon, February 10, 2010, in East Chicago
12. Jesus Alvarez, March 26, 2010, in East Chicago
13. Latroy Howard, June 10, 2010, in East Chicago
Previously uncharged homicides attributed to members of the Latin Kings street gang are:
14. Jonathan Zimmerman, December 26, 2003, in Hammond
15. Edward Delatorre, November 26, 2006, in Chicago
16. James Walsh, February 25, 2007, in Griffith
17. Gonzalo Diaz, February 25, 2007, in Griffith
18. Jose Cortez, May 25, 2008, in East Chicago
19. Christina Campos, April 22, 2009, in Chicago
Last week, Oscar Cosme, and Kiontay Pennington were charged with the previously uncharged murder of Julio Cartenaga on May 16, 2003, in East Chicago.
This case is being investigated by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives; the East Chicago Police Department; and the Federal Bureau of Investigation, with assistance from the Gary Police Department, the Hammond Police Department and the Lake County HIDTA. This case has been assigned to and will be prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorney David J. Nozick and Department of Justice Trial Attorney Bruce Hegyi of the Capital Case Unit.
If convicted in court, any specific sentence to be imposed will be determined by the judge after a consideration of federal sentencing statutes and the Federal Sentencing Guidelines.
The United States Attorney’s Office emphasized that an indictment is merely an allegation and that all persons charged are presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty in court.