Our People and Capabilities
Our People and Capabilities
|Since crime scenes can be anywhere,
our evidence teams are trained
to reach tough places.
Our people in Indianapolis possess a mix of talents and experience that enable us to help protect you, your families, and your workplaces from a full range of national security threats and major crime problems.
Our personnel include not only special agents, but a variety of specialized professionals such as intelligence and financial analysts, investigative specialists, support services technicians, language specialists, paralegals, electronics technicians, and security experts.
Our strength lies in our investigations—the very heart of our operations—and in the collection, analysis, and sharing of intelligence that drives and supports those investigations both locally and nationally. In every case, we work to objectively gather the facts and to develop evidence that can stand up in a court of law. To do that, we can interview witnesses, run undercover operations, analyze financial records, map and manage crime scenes, develop informants, make arrests, conduct surveillance, and gather information and intelligence from around the globe. Our cases today are often complex and multi-faceted, involving a range of public and private sector partners and covering multiple jurisdictions.
Among our specialized capabilities:
- Evidence recovery and processing: In Indianapolis, we have two Evidence Response Teams made up of special agents and other specialists who are sent to crime scenes to secure the area and exhaustively gather and process physical evidence. Each team member has a forensic specialty and has been extensively trained. They can take photographs, diagram and survey scenes, gather fingerprints, analyze blood stains and splatters, determine bullet trajectories, recover DNA, gather and process the smallest of clues, and more. The teams coordinate with the FBI Laboratory and assist local law enforcement upon request.
- Computer forensics: We also have a Computer Analysis and Response Team, or CART, that applies this same evidentiary concept to the digital world. These forensic examiners are experts at retrieving evidence from a vast array of digital devices, at processing that evidence in a way that maintains its integrity for use in court, and at presenting the results of their findings to investigators.
- Tactical support and crisis response: We have a 15-member SWAT (Specialized Weapons and Tactics) team that can storm barricaded buildings and vehicles, breach locks and other structures, arrest armed and dangerous criminals, rescue hostages, patrol areas and provide security, navigate tough terrains by climbing and rappelling, use special techniques to stop fleeing cars, and conduct site surveys for special events. The team is highly trained and heavily equipped, with expertise in a variety of weapons, including pistols, assault and sniper rifles, and shotguns.
- Bomb recovery and analysis: We have a special agent bomb technician in Indianapolis who can test and render safe a variety of explosive devices. He responds to calls of suspicious packages or objects and is deployed during bombing investigations, often working closely with our Joint Terrorism Task Forces. He gathers diagnostic information from the explosives that may be relayed as vital intelligence to local investigators and to the national Terrorist Explosive Device Analytical Center. Our bomb tech often works and trains with local first responders and law enforcement.
- Victim assistance: We have two victim specialists—one in Indianapolis and one in the Merrillville Resident Agency—who provide support to individuals who have suffered direct or indirect physical, emotional, psychological, or financial harm as a result of a federal felony offense. Our victim specialists are highly-trained professionals who can provide victim information and resources to effectively meet specific needs, including details on victim rights, crime victim compensation, community resources, and the federal criminal justice system.
For more information on the FBI and its capabilities, see our About Us webpage.