FBI Washington Field Office Provides Statement on Pipe Bomb Investigation
FBI Washington Field Office Assistant Director in Charge Steven D’Antuono issued a statement regarding the investigation into the pipe bombs placed in the Capitol Hill neighborhood of Washington, D.C., on January 5, 2021.
Steven D’Antuono, Assistant Director in Charge of the FBI’s Washington Field Office: Hello, I’m Steven D’Antuono, Assistant Director in Charge of the FBI’s Washington Field Office.
The FBI is working diligently with our partners at the ATF, the U.S. Capitol Police, and the DC Metropolitan Police to identify the person responsible for placing pipe bombs in the Capitol Hill neighborhood of Washington, DC, on January 5th, the evening before the violence at our nation’s Capitol.
A little over two months ago, the FBI requested the help of the American people, and you answered the call.
I’m coming to you today [pause] to once again ask for your help with our pipe bomb investigation.
Today, we are releasing additional details about this incident and new video of the suspect in the moments before and after placing the bombs.
We believe the information released today will help someone recognize the suspect, or something about them.
If you do, please come forward and share that information with us.
These pipe bombs were viable devices that could have been detonated, resulting in serious injury or death.
Our immediate goal is to identify and locate the person who placed these devices before they harm themselves or others.
The two pipe bombs were placed near the Democratic National Committee Headquarters and Republican National Committee Headquarters on January 5th.
These devices were placed the evening before the Capitol riots — between 7:30pm and 8:30pm.
One device was placed in an alley behind the RNC, located at 310 First Street, Southeast.
The other was placed next to a park bench near the DNC, located at 430 South Capitol Street, Southeast, #3.
We have released video and photos of the individual, including of their shoes, the devices, and the kitchen timers used, in hopes that someone recognizes something familiar about them.
The person who placed these bombs wore a face mask, a grey hooded sweatshirt, and black and light grey Nike Air Max Speed Turf shoes with a yellow logo.
They used a backpack to transport each of the devices.
We are asking for you to come forward and speak to us about any odd or out-of-character behaviors.
You may have observed someone exhibiting these behaviors leading up to January 5th, their actions during the night of January 5th, or their behavior changes after January 5th.
Leading up to January 5th, you may have observed behaviors that indicate someone was involved.
This could include making travel plans to Capitol Hill or researching the locations of the DNC and RNC.
They may have shown an increased fixation on the current political climate.
Specific to the devices, you may have noticed this person purchased 1x8-inch threaded galvanized pipe.
This person may have had unexplained possession of multiple kitchen timers.
They may have an interest in explosives, making black powder, or researched these topics.
This person may have talked about their aspirations to place the pipe bombs.
You may have noticed that they were distracted from their normal activities, work, their relationships, or holiday activities.
During the night of January 5th, you may have observed a person matching this description in the vicinity of North Carolina Avenue SE, and Folger Park.
This would have been between 6:30pm and 9:00pm.
This person may have entered a vehicle or taken an item from a vehicle and placed it into the backpack.
Since January 5th, you may have noticed changes in someone you know.
This may include recently discarding or having stopped wearing the Nike Air Max Speed Turf shoes.
It could be bragging about what they did while on Capitol Hill, following this story very closely, or exhibiting an unusual emotional response to the reporting of this story.
This may range from excitement to frustration with the outcome and press coverage.
They may have increased anxiety about being identified.
Any emotion you feel is inappropriate is worth reporting.
We know it can be a difficult decision to report information about family, friends, or coworkers – but this is about protecting human life.
We need your help to identify the individual responsible for placing these pipe bombs to ensure that they will not harm themselves or anyone else.
If you have any information – please call the FBI at 1800-CALL-FBI. Or you can submit tips online at tips.fbi.gov.
Tips can remain anonymous.
Together with the ATF, the FBI is offering a 100 thousand dollar reward for information leading to the identification of the person who placed these devices on the night of January 5th.
The American people have provided invaluable assistance in this investigation, and we and our law enforcement partners are incredibly appreciative of that.
We still believe there is someone out there who has information that they may not have realized was significant until now.
We’re asking you to come forward to share that information with us.
- 03.08.2023 — FBI Jacksonville Diversity Agent Recruitment Event Trailer: Special Agent Alex Silverstein
- 03.08.2023 — FBI Jacksonville Diversity Agent Recruitment Event Trailer: Special Agent Justin Brannon
- 03.08.2023 — FBI Jacksonville Diversity Agent Recruitment Event Trailer: Special Agent Lauren Regucci
- 03.08.2023 — FBI Jacksonville Diversity Agent Recruitment Event Trailer: Special Agent in Charge Sherri Onks
- 03.03.2023 — FBI Pittsburgh Joint Operation
- 02.09.2023 — Chinese High-Altitude Balloon Recovery
- 02.06.2023 — Inside The FBI Podcast: For The Love Of Money
- 02.01.2023 — Inside the FBI Podcast: Romance Scams (2021 Rerelease)
- 02.01.2023 — Inside the FBI Podcast: Submitting Tips to the Bureau
- 01.31.2023 — FBI Seattle Discusses Myths of Human Trafficking
- 01.16.2023 — FBI Announces $10,000 Reward for Information Leading to Arrest in Unsolved Murders
- 01.13.2023 — Section Chief Jose Perez on Violent Crime Operations
- 01.12.2023 — Sextortion PSA – Salt Lake City
- 01.10.2023 — Madalina Cojocari Missing Person's Vodcast
- 12.29.2022 — FBI Atlanta: Surveillance in Ebenezer Baptist Church Vandalism Investigation
- 11.22.2022 — FBI Charlotte: Surveillance Video in Crisis Pregnancy Center Arson Investigation (2 of 2)
- 11.21.2022 — B-Roll JCODE Takedown Los Angeles 110122
- 11.18.2022 — FBI Philadelphia: Surveillance Video in Serial Armed Robberies Investigation (September 12, 2022 Robbery)
- 11.18.2022 — FBI Philadelphia: Surveillance Video in Serial Armed Robberies Investigation (October 8, 2022 Robbery)
- 11.15.2022 — FBI Charlotte: Surveillance Video in Crisis Pregnancy Center Arson Investigation (1 of 2)
FBI Weekly Newsletter
Subscribe to our email newsletter for news on the FBI, sent out every week.