Applying STEM at the FBI
Hear in this video how professionals in the FBI's Laboratory and Cyber Division apply their STEM skills every day.
Eugene, Supervisory Physical Scientist, FBI Laboratory Division: STEM stands for Science Technology Engineering and Mathematics. What it means for us in the research here at the FBI Laboratory is to use science to answer questions that are relevant to forensic investigations.
Joseph, Forensic Examiner, FBI Laboratory Division: STEM helps the FBI mission because, especially at the laboratory division, it kind of is the mission. You know science and the application of science to law is what the laboratory division does. It takes a wide background of disciplines to answer questions that investigators may have about evidence.
Michael, Supervisory Special Agent, FBI Cyber Division: Here in Cyber Division, we specifically work on cases that involve some of the top hackers and top cyber criminals worldwide, so STEM skills are vital. They’re vital in understanding computer programming and networking, how systems work, and they're vital and actually being able to track down computer hackers and stop hacking attacks.
Amber, Supervisory Biologist, FBI Laboratory Division: It's our job to protect American people and the way that we do that through the laboratory is by developing new techniques and new technologies that are going to be used for not just what's going on today, but what's going to be coming tomorrow.
Joseph: So STEM is critical to analyzing evidence here at the Laboratory Division. Every case that we get we're applying principles and concepts that are specifically related to science and technology.
Eugene: STEM factors into investigative criminal and intelligence casework by helping those investigators identify who is present, what they might have done, where they might have gone, what sequence of events might have taken place. Science answers those questions because we don't always have information from witnesses or surveillance. All we have are the physical traces left of an individual's presence after they've left the scene.
Amber: I would say anyone who is interested in a career at the FBI and has a hard science background should consider going into the FBI. We have a lot of fields here not just at the laboratory, but across the FBI that need those science backgrounds and need the people who have that infrastructure.
Michael: We're looking for a lot of computer sciences. We're looking for engineers. We're also always looking for agents who have STEM-related skills and STEM-related backgrounds to become special agents also.
Eugene: The type of people that are attracted to STEM disciplines are exactly the people that we want to hire and recruit at the FBI as agents, as analysts, as laboratory examiners, and as research scientists, because they've got the experience and training in science to appreciate what science can do.
Joseph: But it takes a wide variety and a diverse background of people to fill all the positions here at the FBI and so it's not one field or discipline and it's not one background specifically and takes all of us working together to answer the mission.
- 08.06.2020 — FBI Boston: Vandalism and Arson of a Providence Police Department Cruiser
- 08.05.2020 — FBI Cleveland: CVS Robbery Surveillance Footage
- 07.31.2020 — FBI San Francisco Remarks on Twitter Security Incident Investigation
- 07.22.2020 — Underwater Post-Blast: Boat Engines and Wake
- 07.22.2020 — Underwater Post-Blast: Piecing the Evidence Together
- 07.22.2020 — Underwater Post-Blast: Recovering Evidence in Murky Waters
- 07.22.2020 — Underwater Post-Blast: Examining Evidence
- 07.22.2020 — Underwater Post-Blast: Student on Boat
- 07.22.2020 — Post-Blast Training Boat Wake Loop
- 07.22.2020 — Underwater Post-Blast: Diver Enters Water
- 07.22.2020 — Underwater Post-Blast: In the Classroom
- 07.22.2020 — Underwater Post-Blast: Boats Passing
- 06.30.2020 — FBI Portland: Can We Protect Freedom of Speech While Addressing Fake News and Influence Campaigns Online?
- 06.30.2020 — FBI Portland: What is the FBI Doing to Combat Election Fraud?
- 06.30.2020 — FBI Portland: What is the FBI's Role in Securing the Election?
- 06.30.2020 — FBI Portland: How Does the FBI Work With Others to Ensure the Integrity of Elections?
- 06.30.2020 — FBI Portland: How Can Voters and Campaigns Find Information About Helping to Strengthen Electoral System?
- 06.30.2020 — FBI Portland: What Should an Oregonian Do If They Believe Someone Has Violated Their Voting Rights?
- 06.30.2020 — FBI Portland: Are You Concerned About the Impact That Russia or Other Countries May Have on 2020 Elections?
- 06.30.2020 — FBI Portland: What Are the Biggest Cyber Threats Related to This Year's Election?