Smithsonian Assists FBI in Minnesota Ruby Slippers Case
Conservators at the National Museum of American History assisted the Minneapolis Division of the FBI in the case of ruby slippers from the 'The Wizard of Oz' that were stolen in Minnesota in 2005. The museum analyzed and compared the recovered slippers with a pair that has been part of the Smithsonian collection since 1979.
Dawn Wallace, conservator, Smithsonian Institution National Museum of American History: This is the box that has been specially constructed for the shoes.
Ryan Lintelman, curator, entertainment collection, Smithsonian Institution National Museum of American History: They’re one of the most requested objects here. Visitors who come in know that we have the ruby slippers. They want to see them. When they’re not on display, we hear about it. And it’s because they have this unique resonance with people.
Text slide: The Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of American History has had a pair of ruby slippers from the 1939 film "The Wizard of Oz" as part of its collection since 1979.
Text slide: The museum's slippers, seen here, were recently used to help the FBI in the case of another pair that was stolen from the Judy Garland Museum in Minnesota in 2005.
Text slide: Museum conservators were asked to analyze and compare the recovered slippers with their own well-documented pair.
Wallace: So then when the FBI reached out to us to look at the pair that were recovered, we had the knowledge to make those comparisons to determine whether the construction and the materials were consistent with the pair that we have in the museum’s collection.
Title Slide: The recovery of this pair followed a tip in 2017 and a nearly yearlong investigation by the FBI's Minneapolis Division.
Text slide: The recovered shoes are mismatched siblings with the museum pair. Only four pairs are known to still exist from the film.
Lintelman: Knowing that there are other pairs out there and the enormous interest that there is in this film, we want to be as useful as possible and to try to preserve this history and to let people experience it as much as possible. So this recovered pair, it’s so exciting to know that they’ve been brought back into the fold and that they’re going to be preserved for future generations. We’re just so excited to help out with the FBI investigation and see what we could do to assist.
- 03.08.2023 — FBI Jacksonville Diversity Agent Recruitment Event Trailer: Special Agent Alex Silverstein
- 03.08.2023 — FBI Jacksonville Diversity Agent Recruitment Event Trailer: Special Agent Justin Brannon
- 03.08.2023 — FBI Jacksonville Diversity Agent Recruitment Event Trailer: Special Agent Lauren Regucci
- 03.08.2023 — FBI Jacksonville Diversity Agent Recruitment Event Trailer: Special Agent in Charge Sherri Onks
- 03.03.2023 — FBI Pittsburgh joint operation_03032023
- 02.09.2023 — Chinese High-Altitude Balloon Recovery
- 02.06.2023 — Inside The FBI Podcast: For The Love Of Money
- 02.01.2023 — Inside the FBI Podcast: Romance Scams (2021 Rerelease)
- 02.01.2023 — Inside the FBI Podcast: Submitting Tips to the Bureau
- 01.31.2023 — FBI Seattle Discusses Myths of Human Trafficking
- 01.16.2023 — FBI Announces $10,000 Reward for Information Leading to Arrest in Unsolved Murders
- 01.13.2023 — Section Chief Jose Perez on Violent Crime Operations
- 01.12.2023 — Sextortion PSA – Salt Lake City
- 01.10.2023 — Madalina Cojocari Missing Person's Vodcast
- 12.29.2022 — FBI Atlanta: Surveillance in Ebenezer Baptist Church Vandalism Investigation
- 11.22.2022 — FBI Charlotte: Surveillance Video in Crisis Pregnancy Center Arson Investigation (2 of 2)
- 11.21.2022 — B-Roll JCODE Takedown Los Angeles 110122
- 11.18.2022 — FBI Philadelphia: Surveillance Video in Serial Armed Robberies Investigation (September 12, 2022 Robbery)
- 11.18.2022 — FBI Philadelphia: Surveillance Video in Serial Armed Robberies Investigation (October 8, 2022 Robbery)
- 11.15.2022 — FBI Charlotte: Surveillance Video in Crisis Pregnancy Center Arson Investigation (1 of 2)
FBI Weekly Newsletter
Subscribe to our email newsletter for news on the FBI, sent out every week.