Victim of Romance Scam Who Became Money Mule Tells Story
Glenda, an 81-year-old victim of a romance scam, describes how she became a money mule and is now paying the price. She pleaded guilty on November 2, 2021 for two federal crimes.
My name is Glenda, and I am 81 years old.
In 2014, I met the love of my life online. And he told me that he was a U.S. citizen and was working in Nigeria.
He asked me for money to help with his business and help leave Nigeria.
Then my love had people send me electronics like cellphones so I could pawn them and send him the money.
When I couldn’t get the money he wanted, he asked me to open personal and business bank accounts.
I did as he asked, and he started sending me checks or having money deposited into the bank accounts.
Since 2015, bank employees, local police officers, and federal agents told me that my love was a scam and that I needed to stop or I could go to jail.
I didn’t listen to anyone else but my love—the love I’ve never seen nor spoken to.
Now, I don’t have a choice of whom I’ll listen to.
On November 2, 2021, I pled guilty to two federal felonies.
I’ll be listening to the judge now.
Learn about federal Money Mule Initiative: https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/us-law-enforcement-targets-fraud-facilitators-doubling-last-year-s-enforcement
- 06.30.2022 — Ruja Ignatova Promotes OneCoin at London Event
- 06.29.2022 — FBI and National Center for Missing & Exploited Children Sextortion PSA
- 06.14.2022 — Footage from Charlotte, North Carolina, Mass Shooting on June 22, 2020
- 05.17.2022 — Domestic Security Alliance Council
- 05.11.2022 — National Senior Fraud Awareness Day
- 05.10.2022 — Director Wray's 2022 National Police Week Address
- 04.28.2022 — National Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention Month PSA (FBI Los Angeles)
- 04.28.2022 — FBI Los Angeles Diversity Agent Recruitment Event Promotional Video
- 04.18.2022 — Missouri Bomb Task Force Renders Safe a Cannonball
- 04.05.2022 — Former Director William Webster Offers Warning About Elder Fraud
- 03.29.2022 — FBI Portland Cyber Recruiting: Oregon Cyber Task Force
- 03.29.2022 — FBI Portland Cyber Recruiting: Regional Computer Forensics Lab
- 03.29.2022 — FBI Portland Cyber Recruiting: Cyber Special Agent
- 03.07.2022 — Made in Beijing: The Plan for Global Market Domination
- 03.02.2022 — FBI Pittsburgh Highlights Teen Academy
- 03.01.2022 — HRT Mobility Team - Fast Boat
- 03.01.2022 — HRT Mobility Team - Night Vision Goggles
- 02.28.2022 — FBI Rochester Hate Crimes PSA
- 02.28.2022 — FBI Buffalo & FBI Rochester Hate Crimes PSA
- 02.28.2022 — FBI Buffalo Hate Crimes PSA