Victim of Romance Scam Who Became Money Mule Tells Story
Glenda, an 81-year-old victim of a romance scam, describes how she became a money mule and is now paying the price. She pleaded guilty on November 2, 2021 for two federal crimes.
My name is Glenda, and I am 81 years old.
In 2014, I met the love of my life online. And he told me that he was a U.S. citizen and was working in Nigeria.
He asked me for money to help with his business and help leave Nigeria.
Then my love had people send me electronics like cellphones so I could pawn them and send him the money.
When I couldn’t get the money he wanted, he asked me to open personal and business bank accounts.
I did as he asked, and he started sending me checks or having money deposited into the bank accounts.
Since 2015, bank employees, local police officers, and federal agents told me that my love was a scam and that I needed to stop or I could go to jail.
I didn’t listen to anyone else but my love—the love I’ve never seen nor spoken to.
Now, I don’t have a choice of whom I’ll listen to.
On November 2, 2021, I pled guilty to two federal felonies.
I’ll be listening to the judge now.
Learn about federal Money Mule Initiative: https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/us-law-enforcement-targets-fraud-facilitators-doubling-last-year-s-enforcement
- 01.12.2022 — Inside the FBI Podcast: Fighting Violent Crime
- 12.21.2021 — FBI Seattle Warns About Ransomware
- 12.20.2021 — Stay Cybersecure This Holiday Season
- 12.07.2021 — FBI Salt Lake City Shares Tips to Avoid Holiday Scams
- 12.06.2021 — Consumer Shares Their Holiday Shopping Scam Experience
- 11.23.2021 — Citizens Academy Alumni Association President Reflects on Organization's Role
- 11.22.2021 — Karen Corrigan Describes Role of FBI Citizens Academy Alumni Association
- 11.19.2021 — FBI Salt Lake City Warns About Holiday Scams
- 11.18.2021 — Iranian Nationals Charged with Interfering in 2020 U.S. Presidential Election
- 11.16.2021 — Sister of Missing Woman Katelin Akens Marks Six Years Since Disappearance
- 11.16.2021 — Mother of Katelin Akens Marks Six Years Since Daughter's Disappearance
- 11.15.2021 — Inside the FBI: Health Care Fraud
- 11.15.2021 — Friend of Missing Person John Tran Seeks Clues in Disappearance
- 11.15.2021 — Missing Person: John Bui Tran
- 11.05.2021 — FBI and Dominion Energy Describe Cybersecurity Partnership
- 11.05.2021 — FBI and Dominion Energy Describe Cybersecurity Partnership (Extended)
- 10.29.2021 — Inside the FBI Podcast: UFOs
- 10.29.2021 — FBI New Haven: Help Stop Hate Crimes
- 10.26.2021 — FBI and Partners Target Online Drug Markets