Seattle Sex Trafficking Survivor Shares Her Story
A survivor of sex trafficking describes how she came under the control of David Delay, who was sentenced in April in Seattle for sex trafficking and child pornography.
He said that I would make $20 million from the documentary. And that it was, if porn was legal, then escorting and prostitution should be legal, too. And that once it aired, or whatever, that I would—and all the other girls—would get $20 million each.
Text Slide: Lauren was a teenager when she was tricked into a world of prostitution by a purported movie producer named David Delay.
When I met them, I was a senior. I was a gymnast, and I was doing gymnastics. I wouldn't say I was a shy person in high school, but I didn't really talk about relationships or anything. And so I kind of just went on there to meet people and possibly find a relationship. Who knows?
Text Slide: Lauren met Delay's accomplice, Marysa Comer, on an Internet dating site and felt like they made a connection.
I can't remember what she really, like, said exactly. But I know she was just friendly and kind of pursuing in some way. That she was a nice person and actually genuinely cared and wanted to get to know me.
Text Slide: In fact, David Delay was a master manipulator, luring Lauren and other women into a web of human trafficking, blackmail, and child pornography.
At first, they treated me very well. David bought me things and bought coffee and just treated me like a friend, I should say. Like a good friend who you would think was a nice person. They took me to, like, hotels and stuff just for fun at the beginning. I just thought that, “Oh, I’ll have a lot of money and I’ll be around people that care about me.” I just thought that sounded great.
Maybe a month after meeting them, it kind of got to the point where they slowly introduced the whole escorting or prostitution phase—whatever you want to call it.
Text Slide: Lauren was trafficked all over the country and was not allowed to keep any of the money.
I think I was kind of just in shock, and I didn't really know what to think of it. And I just wanted to be cared about and I wanted a person to care about me and to be loved. So at that point, I just really didn't know what to do.
Text Slide: David Delay coerced Lauren into signing a contract that required her to work as a prostitute under the guise that he would interview her about her experiences for his documentary.
I think it was five or six months after living with them, in November of 2014, I called my mom. She obviously jumped on it—was like, “Oh, you want to come home, great!” And she knew that I needed to get out of the situation.
Text Slide: A family friend helped Lauren escape and brought her home to her mother.
They were not there at the time, so that’s how I got out. They had scheduled some man to come over that night. But I had decided before they, before that person comes over, that I was gonna get on it and actually leave. So that’s what I did.
Text slide: Lauren and her mother contacted their local police, who investigated the case with the FBI.
Text slide: David Delay was convicted last year on 17 charges related to sex trafficking and child pornography. He was sentenced in April 2018 to 33 years in prison. His co-conspirator, Marysa Comer, was sentenced to three years in prison.
- 02.20.2024 — Seeking Information: Jenna Franks
- 02.16.2024 — Deputy Director Paul Abbate Statement on LockBit Ransomware Group
- 02.14.2024 — Romance Scams, Revisited
- 02.14.2024 — FBI New Haven - FLEYA - Future Law Enforcement Youth Academy
- 02.13.2024 — FBI Salt Lake City Warns of Romance Scams
- 02.13.2024 — Search For Asha Continues
- 02.13.2024 — Military Romance Scams
- 02.08.2024 — Run, Hide, Fight – Safe in Schools
- 02.08.2024 — Securing the Super Bowl
- 02.08.2024 — Las Vegas Bomb Tech Talks Super Bowl Prep
- 01.30.2024 — Operation Dead Hand B-Roll
- 01.26.2024 — Inside the FBI Podcast: Top Ten Fugitive Vitel'Homme Innocent
- 01.22.2024 — FBI Detroit Financial Sextortion PSA
- 01.22.2024 — FBI Sacramento Citizen's Academy
- 01.19.2024 — Salt Lake Sextortion PSA
- 01.12.2024 — PSA: Financial Sextortion is a Crime (Horizontal Format)
- 01.12.2024 — PSA: Financial Sextortion is a Crime (Vertical Format)
- 01.09.2024 — FBI Salt Lake Hate Crimes PSA - Farsi Language
- 01.09.2024 — FBI Salt Lake Hate Crimes PSA - Turkish Language
- 01.09.2024 — FBI Salt Lake Hate Crimes PSA - Dari Language