Run. Hide. Fight.
In this FBI training video, customers at a bar are caught in an active shooter event. By employing the run, hide, and fight tactics, as well as knowing the basics of rendering first aid to others, they are prepared, empowered, and able to survive the attack.
[background bar chatter]
Emily: Hi! Can I get you started with drinks?
[cell phone rings]
Tristan: Oh. Sorry. I gotta take this.
Sadie: We'll need a minute.
[talking on phone]
[shouting from back of restaurant]
Waiter: Call 911! There's a guy --
[CHAOS AS PEOPLE START TO FLEE]
Emily: Running makes you harder to hit...and improves your chances of survival.
Don't go up here!
Officer: Police! Where is he?
Emily: By the bar, blue jeans, black shirt.
Empty hands up, follow their instruction.
Sadie: I'm in the direct line of fire if I head for either exit. But I have other options to help me survive.
Guys! Come on. In here!
Come on. Go! Go! Go!
Lock and barricade the door.
[GUNSHOTS AND SCREAMING]
Tristan: Both of my exits are blocked by the shooter. I gotta stay hidden.
I'm no victim. I'm ready for this.
Sadie: He's applying direct pressure to the wound to stop the bleeding until we can find a tourniquet.
In the meantime, turn off your phones and make a plan to defend yourself.
[SHOOTER HEARD APPROACHING]
Tristan: We have to fight to survive.
[KICKING BROKEN GLASS]
If we control the weapon, we control the shooter. I'll go for the gun, he'll go for his arms, the bartender will go for the head.
[SOUNDS OF STRUGGLE]
[GUNSHOT, BULLET CASING LANDING ON FLOOR]
Officer: Where is he?
[OFFSCREEN] We got him! Right here!
Officer: POLICE! Show me your hands!
Tristan: Over here!
Narrator: You can survive a mass shooting. If you're prepared.
Remember; Run, Hide or Fight.
RUN: Wherever you go, be aware of alternate exits. Quickly and cautiously evacuate in a direction away from the attacker.
Don't hesitate. Seconds matter.
Remember windows and emergency exits.
Leave belongings behind.
Keep your empty hands raised and clearly visible when exiting a building.
Follow all instructions from the police.
Don't stop until you're sure you've reached a safe location.
HIDE: If there is no safe escape route, find a good hiding place.
Lock and barricade the door.
Silence cell phones.
Prepare a defense plan.
FIGHT: Fight only as a last resort.
Use available objects as improvised weapons.
Use teamwork and surprise. A coordinated ambush can incapacitate an attacker.
You're fighting for your life.
Don't fight fair!
STOP THE BLEED: A victim can die of uncontrolled blood loss in 5 minutes or less.
Apply pressure or a tourniquet to control severe bleeding.
Go to fbi.gov/survive to learn more.
- 05.18.2023 — Beware of Elder Fraud Scams
- 05.12.2023 — Director Wray's 2023 National Police Week Address
- 05.10.2023 — Inside the FBI Podcast: Oasis Ponzi Scheme
- 05.05.2023 — FBI Phoenix Hosts Missing Person Identification Project Event
- 05.02.2023 — Operation SpecTor Targets Darknet Markets
- 04.28.2023 — FBI Los Angeles Air Assault PSA
- 04.25.2023 — FBI Richmond - National Crime Victims' Rights Week
- 04.21.2023 — Inside the FBI: The China Threat
- 04.20.2023 — Seeking Information-Suspect Wanted in Connection with Armed Robberies
- 04.17.2023 — Lumberton Women - Vodcast
- 04.13.2023 — FBI San Francisco: Video Depicting Kidnapping of Monica de Leon Barba (Video 2)
- 04.13.2023 — FBI San Francisco: Video Depicting Kidnapping of Monica de Leon Barba (Video 1)
- 04.10.2023 — Missy Peregrym IC3 PSA
- 04.03.2023 — FBI Cyber at RSA
- 03.08.2023 — FBI Jacksonville Diversity Agent Recruitment Event Trailer: Special Agent Alex Silverstein
- 03.08.2023 — FBI Jacksonville Diversity Agent Recruitment Event Trailer: Special Agent Justin Brannon
- 03.08.2023 — FBI Jacksonville Diversity Agent Recruitment Event Trailer: Special Agent Lauren Regucci
- 03.08.2023 — FBI Jacksonville Diversity Agent Recruitment Event Trailer: Special Agent in Charge Sherri Onks
- 03.03.2023 — FBI Pittsburgh Joint Operation
- 02.09.2023 — Chinese High-Altitude Balloon Recovery
FBI Weekly Newsletter
Subscribe to our email newsletter for news on the FBI, sent out every week.