Phoenix FBI Tech Tuesday: Health Care Fraud
In recognition of National Report Medicare Fraud Day on September 12, FBI Phoenix is encouraging the public to be aware of health care fraud, and actions you can take to help prevent yourself from falling victim.
Hello, I'm Acting Supervisory Special Agent Jennifer Schlinz.
In honor of National Report Medicare Fraud Day on September 12, FBI Phoenix is encouraging the public to be aware of health care fraud, and actions you can take to help prevent yourself from falling victim.
Health care fraud is a scheme that attempts to defraud private or government health care programs. Schemes may include offers for fake insurance cards, stolen health information, and various other scams involving medications, supplements, or diversion practices.
Health care fraud can be committed by medical providers, patients, and others who intentionally deceive the health care system to receive unlawful benefits or payments. These scams are often initiated through spam email, internet ads, social media, and fraudulent websites.
According to the FBI’s Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3), nationally, these scams accounted for over 1,000 victims reporting losses of more than $29 million in 2020.
The FBI suggests these tips to help protect yourself from health care related scams:
Protect your health insurance information.
- Don’t share your personal or health information with anyone other than known and trusted medical professionals.
- Beware of “free” services. If you’re asked to provide your health insurance information for a “free” service, it’s most likely not free.
- Check your explanation of benefits (EOB) regularly. Make sure the dates, locations, and services billed match what you actually received. If you believe you have been the victim of health care fraud, please contact FBI Phoenix at (623)466-1999.
- 12.01.2023 — Inside the FBI: Charity Scams
- 12.01.2023 — FBI Omaha Hate Crime Awareness Campaign
- 11.20.2023 — FBI Charlotte: Bus Video in Madalina Cojocari Missing Person Investigation
- 11.20.2023 — Inside the FBI: The Importance of Partner Engagement
- 11.06.2023 — Chicago Warns About Charity Fraud
- 11.03.2023 — Charlotte Field Office at Beacon Project
- 10.26.2023 — FBI New Orleans hosts Federal Law Enforcement Youth Academy
- 10.26.2023 — Inside the FBI Podcast: The Emerging Technology and Securing Innovation Security Summit
- 10.20.2023 — FBI Oklahoma City on Panel Discussing Osage Murders Case
- 10.19.2023 — Inside the FBI Podcast: The Osage Murders
- 10.17.2023 — Director Wray Discusses the Threat of Chinese Economic Espionage at Five Eyes Press Conference
- 10.17.2023 — Director Wray Discusses Potential Misuses of AI During the FBI's Emerging Technology and Securing Innovation Security Summit
- 10.17.2023 — Director Wray Characterizes the Threat China Poses to Innovation During the FBI's Emerging Technology and Securing Innovation Security Summit
- 10.14.2023 — The FBI Continues to Build Partnerships at IACP
- 09.29.2023 — FBI Phoenix Hosts New Agent Training Program for Indian Country
- 09.29.2023 — Operation Not Forgotten
- 09.28.2023 — Interview with Cindy Valle's Brother
- 09.28.2023 — Interview with Cindy Valle's Mother
- 09.15.2023 — Inside the FBI Podcast: The FBI's Safe Online Surfing Internet Challenge
- 09.09.2023 — Nationals Video 2023