PSA: Business E-Mail Compromise Scam
Public service announcement warning of the dangers of business e-mail compromise scams (BECs).
Man: Did you make that transfer to Hong Kong for the Emerson project?
Woman: I was just about to. But did you see the boss’ e-mail? It doesn’t look right.
Man: It looked fine to me.
Woman: And I don’t remember him mentioning the Emerson project at our last meeting...
Man: The bank in Hong Kong closes in 15 minutes. Make the transfer!
Woman: Yes, sir. Money’s on the way.
Man [on the phone]: Mr. Jacobs, just transferred the money for the Emerson project.
Mr. Jacobs [over the phone]: What Emerson project?
Voiceover: Don’t be that guy. Trust but verify.
- 02.20.2018 — Facebook Live Event: FBI Victim Assistance
- 02.20.2018 — Seeking Information in Memphis Gas Station Robbery
- 02.16.2018 — FBI Safe Online Surfing (SOS) Program
- 02.16.2018 — Children of Thomas Wales Seek Information
- 02.09.2018 — FBI Cincinnati Hate Crime Investigation
- 02.08.2018 — Download the FBI Bank Robbers App
- 02.05.2018 — Salt Lake City ATM Robbery Attempt
- 02.02.2018 — 2017 Biometric Identification Award
- 01.26.2018 — Kidnapping in Calumet City, Illinois, December 20, 2017
- 01.17.2018 — FBI and Security Preparations for Super Bowl LII
- 01.17.2018 — Super Bowl Brings a Focus on Human Trafficking
- 01.09.2018 — E-Check Tutorial: Firearm Retrieval Questions
- 01.09.2018 — FBI Hazardous Devices School Intro
- 01.09.2018 — Training with Bomb Disposal Robots (360-Degree Video)
- 01.09.2018 — Inside the FBI’s Hazardous Devices School
- 01.02.2018 — Arizona Armed Robbery
- 12.18.2017 — Utah U.S. Attorney Discusses Affinity Fraud
- 12.18.2017 — SEC Regional Director Describes Affinity Fraud
- 12.18.2017 — Utah Fraud Victim Describes Her Ordeal
- 12.18.2017 — Salt Lake Agent Describes Affinity Fraudster Tactics