FBI Recruitment Event in Portland, Oregon
The FBI held a recruiting event seeking applicant with diverse backgrounds for positions as special agents in Portland, Oregon on April 23, 2019.
Loren Cannon, Jr., special agent in Charge, Portland Division: As the United States becomes more and more diverse, our goal is to make sure that we become more diverse with it. We need to reflect the community that we serve so we can serve it better.
Interviewer: So, there’s big emphasis on bringing women in tonight. Why is that?
Caryn Ackerman, special agent: We need to have more women in the FBI because we have 50% of the population made up of women, but also because diverse backgrounds contribute to our ability to complete the mission and that’s serving the American people.
So tell us why you’re here tonight.
I’m here because I’ve been interested in the Bureau for the past 10 years and I’m really excited to learn more about the application process, meet agents, talk to different squads, and just learn more and absorb everything I possibly can.
Interviewer: What would you like to do in the FBI?
I would say terrorism, or anti-terrorism. So, I think that’d be cool and that really intrigues me.
Interviewer: Why is it important that the FBI has a diverse work force?
Pete Collier, retired special agent: Well diversity is...I mean it’s critical. Especially in law enforcement. Because there’s not a boilerplate for police officers, or FBI agents. That we all come from different backgrounds, different ethnicities, different experiences. And I think the totality of those experiences makes us better and stronger.
Cannon: We really appreciate all of the candidates who came out tonight and all of the community partners who helped us to make tonight a great event. But if you weren’t able to come out tonight then check our webpage. Just because you couldn’t get to the Diversity Agent Recruiting event doesn’t mean that you might not want to be an agent with the FBI. So check us out and apply.
- 06.11.2020 — Help Identify Subject Who Threw Explosive in Uptown Charlotte
- 06.04.2020 — Director Wray’s Remarks Regarding George Floyd’s Death and FBI Role in Current Events
- 06.01.2020 — FBI Pittsburgh Congratulates Penguins Foundation
- 05.28.2020 — Inside the FBI Podcast: IC3 Turns 20
- 05.21.2020 — FBI Phoenix Joins Arizona Law Enforcement Leaders in Honoring the Fallen
- 05.21.2020 — FBI Sacramento SAC Congratulates Fairfield Police Chief
- 05.18.2020 — 2020 Police Week FBI Chicago Candlelight Vigil
- 05.15.2020 — FBI Dallas Honors Fallen Agents in National Police Week Message
- 05.15.2020 — FBI Honolulu COVID-19 Public Service Announcement
- 05.15.2020 — FBI San Diego Honors Fallen Officers During National Police Week
- 05.15.2020 — FBI New Orleans Recognizes Peace Officers Memorial Day
- 05.14.2020 — 2020 FBI Wall of Honor Memorial Service
- 05.14.2020 — Director Wray Honors Law Enforcement Partners During National Police Week
- 05.11.2020 — Minneapolis FBI Honors Fallen Agents in National Police Week Message
- 05.08.2020 — Jacksonville SAC Congratulates High School Graduates
- 05.08.2020 — Seattle FBI Recognizes Fallen Officers in Police Week Message
- 05.04.2020 — FBI Dallas COVID-19 Public Service Announcement
- 04.30.2020 — Inside the FBI Podcast Trailer: FBI Top Ten List Turns 70
- 04.30.2020 — FBI Jacksonville Honors Director's Community Leadership Award Recipient
- 04.29.2020 — FBI Volunteers Assist Families in Philadelphia