FBI New York Warns of Elder Financial Fraud
Steven Shapiro, a supervisory special agent with the FBI's New York Field Office, says elder financial fraud and senior exploitation is a growing problem, and a despicable crime.
My name is Steven Shapiro, and I’m a supervisory special agent with the FBI. Elder financial fraud and senior exploitation is a growing problem, and a despicable crime. Over the past three years, we’ve seen instances of fraud nearly double in the New York City metropolitan area. Financial scams targeting the elderly are pervasive, involving thousands of victims who suffer staggering financial and emotional losses.
Scammers are expert manipulators who often engage in romance, inheritance, tech support, and money mule scams, and frequently pose as U.S. government officials.
Remember, a representative for the U.S. Gov will never call you by telephone or email you to demand payments; never demand payments over gift cards or other stored value cards; and never call you by telephone or email and threaten to arrest you. Criminals will.
Report instances of fraud immediately by calling 1-800-CALL-FBI, or by reporting tips online at ic3.gov.
Hang up the phone on scammers, and help us fight elder fraud together.
- 11.22.2022 — FBI Charlotte: Surveillance Video in Crisis Pregnancy Center Arson Investigation (2 of 2)
- 11.21.2022 — B-Roll JCODE Takedown Los Angeles 110122
- 11.18.2022 — FBI Philadelphia: Surveillance Video in Serial Armed Robberies Investigation (September 12, 2022 Robbery)
- 11.18.2022 — FBI Philadelphia: Surveillance Video in Serial Armed Robberies Investigation (October 8, 2022 Robbery)
- 11.15.2022 — FBI Charlotte: Surveillance Video in Crisis Pregnancy Center Arson Investigation (1 of 2)
- 11.14.2022 — FBI Buffalo: Surveillance in CompassCare Arson Investigation
- 11.11.2022 — Little Rock B-Roll 110922
- 11.07.2022 — FBI and Wounded Warrior Regiment Connect for Career and Fitness Event
- 10.25.2022 — FBI Honolulu and Bank of Guam Describe Cybersecurity Partnership
- 10.06.2022 — FBI and Moderna Describe Cybersecurity Partnership (Short)
- 10.06.2022 — FBI and Moderna Describe Cybersecurity Partnership (Long)
- 10.03.2022 — FBI Dallas Continues Hate Crime Awareness Efforts
- 09.16.2022 — FBI Minneapolis Seeks Public’s Help in Identifying Person of Interest in South Dakota Homicide
- 09.14.2022 — Director Wray Addresses Recent Cyber Activity
- 09.12.2022 — Violent Crime Takedown B-Roll
- 09.12.2022 — FBI Director Christopher Wray on How the FBI Is Helping to Combat Violent Crime
- 09.09.2022 — FBI Minneapolis Seeks Public’s Help in Identifying Person of Interest in South Dakota Homicide
- 09.07.2022 — Cyber PSA from FBI Jacksonville
- 08.26.2022 — FBI Jacksonville Collegiate Academy PSA
- 08.14.2022 — Operation Cross Country 2022 B-Roll