In 1993, the Brady Act was signed into law, requiring Federal Firearms Licenses or FFLs to initiate background checks on prospective firearms recipients. As a permanent provision and to facilitate the rapid, legal transfer of a firearm, the United States Attorney General was charged with establishing the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, or the NICS.
In 1993, the Brady Act was signed into law, requiring Federal Firearms Licenses or FFLs to initiate background checks on prospective firearms recipients.
As a permanent provision and to facilitate the rapid, legal transfer of a firearm, the United States Attorney General was charged with establishing the National Instant Criminal Background Check System, or the NICS.
In 2002, the NICS advanced this process beyond the telephone when the FBI’s Criminal Justice Information Services Division introduced NICS E-Check. Originally, NICS E-Check packed several benefits such as added customer protection against identity theft because you don’t have to divulge their personal identifying information over the telephone or in ear shot of other customers. 24/7 access to NICS background check results, the ability to print completed search requests, great for record keeping, and being prepared for an audit, the immediate notification of any NICS operational status changes, the ability to provide feedback, and no hold times for the call center or while waiting for transaction reviews.
Even during times of unprecedented volume like those experienced in November and December (2012), the NICS E-Check maintained its robust performance, consistently providing users with an average response time of two minutes or less.
The NICS tirelessly strives to enhance customer service, and this philosophy was never more evident than when the FBI proudly unveiled NICS E-Check 2.0 on July 16, 2013. In addition to all the benefits you’ve come to know, E-Check 2.0 has unleashed a few more powerful game changers designed to make your experience exceedingly better. Now, 2.0 gives the FFL administrative controls for the creation and modification of employee E-Check accounts, and digital certificates are a thing of the past. 2.0 users can log into the system from any computer with web access by simply setting up the user name and password just like any other secure account on the Internet.
The FBI is proud to provide this level of service to the FFL community, and the NICS E-Check 2.0 certainly exemplifies that commitment. FFLs are strongly encouraged to register with E-Check, and don’t forget even as a registered E-Check user, you can still use the telephone to reach one of our contracted call centers.
Think about it, on average the NICS E-Check provides responses to its users in under two minutes. So in the time it took to watch this announcement, you could have received your results. Don’t delay, become a NICS E-Check user today, because it’s nice to have choices.
For registration information, please follow these steps to access the E-Check User Guide: Go to:www.nicsezcheckfbi.gov, Select: “Access the FBI NICS E-Check help pages”, Select: “User Guide (pdf)”.
- 09.22.2016 — Wanted by the FBI: Walter Yovany Gomez
- 09.16.2016 — FBI in Thailand: Confronting the Child Sex Trade
- 09.16.2016 — John Schachnovsky, FBI Legal Attaché, Bangkok
- 09.16.2016 — Gen. Tamasak Wicharaya, Royal Thai Police
- 09.16.2016 — Glyn T. Davies, U.S. Ambassador to Thailand
- 09.13.2016 — Ernie Weyand, FBI Assistant Legal Attaché, Bangkok
- 09.13.2016 — Rick Snelsire, INL Director, U.S. Embassy in Bangkok
- 09.13.2016 — Major Gen. Monthon Ngernwattanam, Royal Thai Police
- 09.13.2016 — Boom, Child Advocacy Center Director
- 09.13.2016 — Investigation of United Flight 93
- 09.06.2016 — Future Agents in Training Get Inside Look Into the FBI
- 09.02.2016 — The FBI: A Career Like No Other
- 08.29.2016 — Robbery of Blue Fins Bait, Tackle, and Guns Shop in Dundalk, Maryland (FBI Baltimore)
- 08.25.2016 — Wanted by the FBI: Nelio Martin Sotomayor-Sanchez
- 08.25.2016 — FBI, This Week: FBI Launches Bank Robbers Mobile App
- 08.18.2016 — FBI, This Week: Iris, the FBI's Electronics Detection Canine
- 08.17.2016 — FBI Linguists: The Opportunities for Linguists
- 08.17.2016 — FBI Linguists: What We Do and How to be Successful
- 08.17.2016 — FBI Linguists: Why My Work Matters
- 08.17.2016 — FBI Linguists: Serving My Country