Thomas Wales, Through the Eyes of His Children
Amy and Tom Wales talk about their father Tom Wales, a federal prosecutor in Seattle who was killed by a gunman in 2001.
Well, he liked quite a number of somewhat contradictory things. He loved really bad movies, especially action movies. He loved the outdoors, I think it’s because of how he grew up. He loved camping, hiking, mountaineering. When I was a kid, we climbed Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Adams, Mt. Shasta, several times. I think Mt. Shasta was our favorite mountain.
Well, in general, I would say the one thing I remember the most is just how much my father would encourage me to try my best and to see how far I could go. He always believed that even though I was a girl, a young girl, a young woman, that I could climb as high or even higher than Tommy. And I eventually did when I climbed Mt. Rainier and scattered his ashes in memory of our father.
He took his job extremely seriously, both in terms of the element of protecting the public and indeed helping the people who he prosecuted as well.
He viewed them as people too. He didn’t just think that his job was to put people in jail for the maximum amount of time, he believed in justice.
He is one of the few men I know who had the most integrity I’ve ever seen, exhibited in a person and toward others. He was also incredibly loyal and strong.
He also, though, was a fantastic father and parent. And if I’m half the parent that he was, then I'll have done something right.
He left such a strong impression of what was right and what was not in terms of personal behavior, interacting with other people, sort of honor, personal integrity. Even after he’s gone, he’s the voice in the back of your head saying you really need to do the right thing by this person.
He was, when it came to business, he was all business … but when it came to the rest of life, he always sort of had a smile on his face.
To anyone who has information about our father’s murder, I would just ask that they have the courage to come forward.
I would want you to know that I understand that it’s hard… that you are thinking through what to say and who to talk to. But we need you to
understand that this is important, and it’s not just a matter of life and death. It’s about integrity of the system, of justice, and also it’s about us as children thinking about our father and what he would want us to do and never give up. And we hope that you know that we hope that you never give up. But, we also understand if you are afraid. And this is when you need to have courage and do the right thing.
- 08.06.2020 — FBI Boston: Vandalism and Arson of a Providence Police Department Cruiser
- 08.05.2020 — FBI Cleveland: CVS Robbery Surveillance Footage
- 07.31.2020 — FBI San Francisco Remarks on Twitter Security Incident Investigation
- 07.22.2020 — Underwater Post-Blast: Boat Engines and Wake
- 07.22.2020 — Underwater Post-Blast: Piecing the Evidence Together
- 07.22.2020 — Underwater Post-Blast: Recovering Evidence in Murky Waters
- 07.22.2020 — Underwater Post-Blast: Examining Evidence
- 07.22.2020 — Underwater Post-Blast: Student on Boat
- 07.22.2020 — Post-Blast Training Boat Wake Loop
- 07.22.2020 — Underwater Post-Blast: Diver Enters Water
- 07.22.2020 — Underwater Post-Blast: In the Classroom
- 07.22.2020 — Underwater Post-Blast: Boats Passing
- 06.30.2020 — FBI Portland: Can We Protect Freedom of Speech While Addressing Fake News and Influence Campaigns Online?
- 06.30.2020 — FBI Portland: What is the FBI Doing to Combat Election Fraud?
- 06.30.2020 — FBI Portland: What is the FBI's Role in Securing the Election?
- 06.30.2020 — FBI Portland: How Does the FBI Work With Others to Ensure the Integrity of Elections?
- 06.30.2020 — FBI Portland: How Can Voters and Campaigns Find Information About Helping to Strengthen Electoral System?
- 06.30.2020 — FBI Portland: What Should an Oregonian Do If They Believe Someone Has Violated Their Voting Rights?
- 06.30.2020 — FBI Portland: Are You Concerned About the Impact That Russia or Other Countries May Have on 2020 Elections?
- 06.30.2020 — FBI Portland: What Are the Biggest Cyber Threats Related to This Year's Election?