Seeking Information: Peggy Cox
The FBI and its law enforcement partners are seeking information about the case of a widowed Tennessee mother of three who was shot to death on her birthday.
Mollie Halpern: The FBI and its law enforcement partners are seeking information about the case of a widowed mother of three who was shot to death on her birthday.
The FBI is offering an up to $15,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person who killed Peggy Cox nearly a quarter of a century ago.
I’m Mollie Halpern of the Bureau and this is Wanted by the FBI.
Here’s a listen to the 9-1-1 call from February 1, 1991.
Police Dispatch: Sir, Is anybody shot?
Caller: Yes, yes sir, somebody’s shot! The drive-thru person at the window.
Halpern: Peggy was working at the drive-thru window at Hardees on Murfreesboro Road in Franklin, Tennessee. At about 11:45, a male voice was heard placing an order over the intercom. Peggy’s son, a cook at the restaurant, told police that a couple seconds later…
Darren Barnes: He heard a couple of gunshots and he saw his mother fall to the ground.
Halpern: That was Detective Darren Barnes of the Franklin Police Department and a member of the FBI’s Violent Crime Task Force. Witnesses say a compact car was seen speeding north on interstate 65.
Investigators say establishing a motive is difficult since Peggy was so well liked. Her daughter, Rachel…
Rachel Cox: She was a stay at home mom, she was there for us.
Barnes: Her three interests were in her kids, church and work and that was it.
Halpern: FBI Special Agent David Volk…
David Volk: The FBI has become involved in this case to lend support and to assist our local law enforcement partner in solving it.
Halpern: If you have information about this case contact your local FBI field office. Report tips anonymously at www.catchpeggyskiller.com.
- 09.29.2016 — Wanted by the FBI: Leonard Rayne Moses
- 09.22.2016 — Wanted by the FBI: Walter Yovany Gomez
- 09.16.2016 — FBI in Thailand: Confronting the Child Sex Trade
- 09.16.2016 — John Schachnovsky, FBI Legal Attaché, Bangkok
- 09.16.2016 — Gen. Tamasak Wicharaya, Royal Thai Police
- 09.16.2016 — Glyn T. Davies, U.S. Ambassador to Thailand
- 09.13.2016 — Ernie Weyand, FBI Assistant Legal Attaché, Bangkok
- 09.13.2016 — Rick Snelsire, INL Director, U.S. Embassy in Bangkok
- 09.13.2016 — Major Gen. Monthon Ngernwattanam, Royal Thai Police
- 09.13.2016 — Boom, Child Advocacy Center Director
- 09.13.2016 — Investigation of United Flight 93
- 09.06.2016 — Future Agents in Training Get Inside Look Into the FBI
- 09.02.2016 — The FBI: A Career Like No Other
- 08.29.2016 — Robbery of Blue Fins Bait, Tackle, and Guns Shop in Dundalk, Maryland (FBI Baltimore)
- 08.25.2016 — Wanted by the FBI: Nelio Martin Sotomayor-Sanchez
- 08.25.2016 — FBI, This Week: FBI Launches Bank Robbers Mobile App
- 08.18.2016 — FBI, This Week: Iris, the FBI's Electronics Detection Canine
- 08.17.2016 — FBI Linguists: The Opportunities for Linguists
- 08.17.2016 — FBI Linguists: What We Do and How to be Successful
- 08.17.2016 — FBI Linguists: Why My Work Matters