Josephine Sunshine Overaker
The FBI is offering an up to $50,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of Josephine Sunshine Overaker, an alleged domestic terrorist.
Mollie Halpern: An up to $50,000 reward is available for information leading to the arrest of this woman, alleged domestic terrorist Josephine Sunshine Overaker.
I’m Mollie Halpern of the Bureau, with Wanted by the FBI.
This is an age-progressed image of what Josephine Overaker would look like these days.
Overaker is wanted for arson and other crimes she committed dating back to 1996 when she was a member of an eco-terrorism cell known as The Family.
The cell acted in the name of extremist groups including the Animal Liberation Front and the Earth Liberation Front.
Special Agent Timothy Suttles…
Timothy Suttles: She was one of the main people to shoplift equipment and devices that they used in these arsons.
Halpern: The crimes spanned five states: Oregon, Washington, California, Colorado, and Wyoming.
Here is a look at one of their crimes in Colorado at the Vail Ski Resort, which remains the largest eco-related arson in history.
Suttles: Josephine Overaker, in committing these crimes, put first responders’ lives in danger as well as causing over $45 million in damages.
Halpern: Josephine Overaker, who is fluent in Spanish, may be living overseas in Spain.
Investigators say she left the United States shortly after Operation Backfire, an FBI-led national takedown 10 years ago this month that resulted in the arrests of some of her co-conspirators.
Overaker may be using an alias such as…
Suttles: She used Lisa Quintana, China, Jo, and Osha.
Halpern: Check out one of Josephine Overaker’s tattoos.
Suttles: A very large bird tattoo that starts on her right shoulder and stretches across her shoulder blades. The color of this tattoo is a dark green, almost black. A lot of feathers.
Halpern: Overaker has facial hair on her upper lip. She is vegan. The alleged arsonist has worked as a firefighter, a midwife, a sheep tender, and a masseuse.
If you have information about this case, report tips to your local FBI office or the nearest American Embassy or Consulate.
- 08.18.2017 — Inside the FBI’s Public Access Line
- 08.10.2017 — Becoming an Agent: John Woodill Recalls Graduation
- 08.10.2017 — Becoming an Agent: Fulfilling a Dream
- 08.03.2017 — Becoming an Agent: Firearms Training
- 08.03.2017 — Becoming an Agent: Driving the Precision Obstacle Course (360-Degree Video)
- 08.03.2017 — Becoming an Agent: Preparing for the Field
- 08.01.2017 — 360-Degree Video of Mock Crime Scene, FBI Honolulu Adopt-a-School
- 07.31.2017 — Becoming an Agent: The First Week
- 07.28.2017 — Becoming an Agent: Inside the Classroom
- 07.28.2017 — Becoming an Agent: Kellie Holland’s Perspective
- 07.27.2017 — How the FBI's Adopt-a-School Program is Working in Hawaii
- 07.24.2017 — Vermont Drug-Related Forfeiture Leads to Renewal of Homes, Neighborhood
- 07.18.2017 — Becoming an Agent: The ONE Program
- 07.18.2017 — Becoming an Agent: John Woodill’s Perspective
- 07.18.2017 — Becoming an Agent: David Lewis’ Perspective
- 07.14.2017 — Security Video of 2013 Connecticut Jewelry Store Robbery
- 06.29.2017 — Wanted by the FBI: Phillip Leron Miller
- 06.16.2017 — Wanted by the FBI: Reward Offered in Maurice Spagnoletti Murder Case
- 06.15.2017 — Surveillance Video of Missing Student Yingying Zhang
- 06.08.2017 — Thieves Steal Jeep from Rancho Bernardo Home