Historic Artifacts Returned to Polish Museum of America
An FBI Art Crime Team investigation helps recover about 120 stolen historic artifacts. The estimated value of the items that we recovered was $5 million, but the historical value can't be measured.
Mollie Halpern: An FBI Art Crime Team investigation helps recover about 120 stolen historic artifacts.
Luigi G. Mondini: The estimated value of the items that we recovered was $5 million, but the historical value can’t be measured.
Halpern: I’m Mollie Halpern of the FBI, and this is Gotcha. The artifacts, which date back as far as 1646, include maps, medals, and World War II memorabilia. Case agent Luigi Mondini says there were also…
Mondini: …letters written by this Polish general and Thomas Jefferson.
Halpern: Tenants of a house in Chicago discovered the items and sold some of them to a coin dealer. The dealer learned the artifacts belonged to the Polish Museum of America, or PMA, and sold them back to the museum. The FBI recovered additional artifacts and returned them to the PMA.
Mondini: Finally it was before their eyes and they could actually study it and have it seen by everybody who wants to.
Halpern: The investigation revealed that the house where the items were found once belonged to a PMA curator, but no charges were filed since the thief was not identified. This has been the FBI’s closed case of the week.
- 08.18.2017 — Inside the FBI’s Public Access Line
- 08.10.2017 — Becoming an Agent: John Woodill Recalls Graduation
- 08.10.2017 — Becoming an Agent: Fulfilling a Dream
- 08.03.2017 — Becoming an Agent: Firearms Training
- 08.03.2017 — Becoming an Agent: Driving the Precision Obstacle Course (360-Degree Video)
- 08.03.2017 — Becoming an Agent: Preparing for the Field
- 08.01.2017 — 360-Degree Video of Mock Crime Scene, FBI Honolulu Adopt-a-School
- 07.31.2017 — Becoming an Agent: The First Week
- 07.28.2017 — Becoming an Agent: Inside the Classroom
- 07.28.2017 — Becoming an Agent: Kellie Holland’s Perspective
- 07.27.2017 — How the FBI's Adopt-a-School Program is Working in Hawaii
- 07.24.2017 — Vermont Drug-Related Forfeiture Leads to Renewal of Homes, Neighborhood
- 07.18.2017 — Becoming an Agent: The ONE Program
- 07.18.2017 — Becoming an Agent: John Woodill’s Perspective
- 07.18.2017 — Becoming an Agent: David Lewis’ Perspective
- 07.14.2017 — Security Video of 2013 Connecticut Jewelry Store Robbery
- 06.29.2017 — Wanted by the FBI: Phillip Leron Miller
- 06.16.2017 — Wanted by the FBI: Reward Offered in Maurice Spagnoletti Murder Case
- 06.15.2017 — Surveillance Video of Missing Student Yingying Zhang
- 06.08.2017 — Thieves Steal Jeep from Rancho Bernardo Home