FBI Child Forensic Interview Training
FBI child forensic interviewers, part of the Office for Victim Assistance, recently provided training for law enforcement officers from four Central American countries on how to interview children and adolescents. The forensic interviewer’s primary role is to collect information that can be used in court.
The forensic interviewing program is a part of the Office for Victim Assistance. And there are four forensic interviewers at the FBI. And we interview kids and adolescents and young adults who are victims and/or witnesses of crime.
The investigative interview, the forensic interview, is to gather statements that can be used in court.
We actually have a protocol that we follow that consists of multiple stages. And we follow that protocol as we interview the child and/or adolescent. And we go thru each stage of the protocol while we conduct our interview. And following the protocol makes the interview legally defensible in a court of law.
This week we’re doing a training for law enforcement from some of the Central and South American countries. Part of their training is they’re learning about forensic interviewing of child and adolescent victims of trafficking.
The attendees have had a lot of questions about the interviewing process and they have been learning a lot. And we have been learning a lot from them about how cases work in their countries and how the interviewing process works in their country with children and adolescents.
Yesterday there were two lectures. There was a lecture on the interview process and the interview guidelines. Also yesterday we talked about child development of younger kids. And today we talked about adolescents and adolescent development.
The next piece(s) of the program are the practice interviews. We have actors that are highly trained. They’re trained in child development and in the child abuse and exploitation dynamics. And they are given scenarios and they have different characters they portray.
The students will be read the scenario and they will go in and do a practice interview with the actor and we will give them a critique on their interview.
We give them a chance to do two interviews because we find that oftentimes they’re able to incorporate the feedback we gave them from the first interview into a second interview.
We’re hoping that they’re able to take some parts, perhaps, of our protocol and some understanding about the dynamics of exploitation away from this training. And if they already have been conducting interviews a certain way, even if they don’t change it completely, maybe they’ll incorporate some of the things they learned from these few days into the interviews they conduct now.
- 07.19.2018 — FBI Phoenix - Mazatzal Casino Robbery on July 17, 2018 (1 of 2)
- 07.19.2018 — FBI Phoenix - Mazatzal Casino Robbery on July 17, 2018 (2 of 2)
- 07.13.2018 — FBI St. Louis – Armed Business Robbery on June 23, 2018
- 07.13.2018 — Chicago Youth Baseball Leagues Benefit from FBI Fraud Case
- 06.28.2018 — Wanted by the FBI: Reward Available for Ten Most Wanted Fugitive Antwan Mims
- 06.11.2018 — FBI Swears In Honors Interns
- 05.25.2018 — FBI New York - Citgo Robbery on February 14, 2018
- 05.15.2018 — Tennessee Ponzi Scheme Preyed on Friends and Neighbors
- 05.07.2018 — Reporting Cyber Crime is as Easy as IC3
- 04.27.2018 — Director’s Community Leadership Awards promotional video
- 04.26.2018 — Facebook Live Event - Becoming an Intelligence Analyst
- 04.25.2018 — 2017 Director's Community Leadership Awards
- 04.19.2018 — FBI San Francisco Division completes final day at RSA Conference
- 04.19.2018 — FBI San Francisco Division wraps up 2018 RSA Conference
- 04.18.2018 — Recruiting seminar at the FBI San Francisco Division booth at the 2018 RSA Conference
- 04.18.2018 — Meet an FBI Bomb Technician and working K-9 at the 2018 RSA Conference
- 04.18.2018 — San Francisco section chief to speak at 2018 RSA Conference
- 04.18.2018 — Visit the FBI San Francisco Division booth at the 2018 RSA Conference
- 04.12.2018 — Wanted by the FBI: Rafael Caro-Quintero Added to Ten Most Wanted Fugitives List
- 04.03.2018 — Operation Targets Dark Web Drug Buyers