Danish Police Superintendent on the FBI’s National Academy
Danish National Police Superintendent Eric Vand, a 20-year veteran of law enforcement, attended the FBI National Academy in Quantico, Virginia as a student and a teacher. He talks about the value of being a part of the National Academy's network of 33,000 alumni around the world.
My name is Eric Vand. I’m a superintendent at the Danish National Police. I’m responsible for the development of all advanced training programs here at the Danish National Police.
I’ve been in law enforcement for the last 20 years; the first 10 I was working on the streets of Copenhagen, and for the last 10 years I’ve been working for with the communication and training.
I was fortunate enough to be invited to the National Academy program in 2006. It’s like the idea that if you don't look outside your own organization it’s pretty hard to get smarter.
I was very impressed about my American colleagues and I was very impressed about the instructors at the Academy—how they were able to counter-perform. And I mean that in every way positive.
They did deliver. The content was high level, I think. But the way that they did it. I took a lot of that back with me. I was trying to … I was instantly trying to implement it in the way I do things—if I do teaching, if I do leadership.
The other thing was the network. I use that network today. I use the 33,000 members of the National Academy and I use that not every day but almost every week.
If not every week then every month, somebody from the Danish Police—and they could be anywhere—asks me, Do you know if the Bureau has a course on analysis or something like that. Something else. And they will call me. They won't call the organization, they will call me because they know I went through that program.
I get many requests of, Eric, can you help me get to the National Academy? Can you help? Because they want to be part of that network. And they want to get to know the Bureau and how you guys are doing things.
- 03.20.2019 — FBI Marks 20 Years of Training at ‘Body Farm’
- 03.20.2019 — FBI Training at the ‘Body Farm’ (360º)
- 03.20.2019 — Training at Human Remains Recovery Course
- 03.13.2019 — Their Voices: Remembering 9/11
- 03.13.2019 — FBI Agents and Analysts Tour 9/11 Memorial & Museum
- 03.11.2019 — Portland Teen Academy
- 03.06.2019 — Director Discusses FBI Approach to Cyber Threats at RSA Conference
- 03.03.2019 — Former FBI Director William Webster Helps Foil Scam
- 02.27.2019 — FBI Seeking Owners in Cultural Artifacts Case
- 01.30.2019 — Partners in Prevention: Vehicle Rentals and Vehicle Ramming
- 01.24.2019 — Video Message to Employees from Director Wray
- 01.19.2019 — Robbery, BP Gas Station, Henrico County, Virginia
- 12.21.2018 — Memorial Held for Victims of Pan Am 103 Bombing
- 12.14.2018 — Trailer: Remembering Pan Am 103: 30 Years Later
- 12.14.2018 — Remembering Pan Am Flight 103: Kara Weipz
- 12.14.2018 — Remembering Pan Am Flight 103: The 'Laundry Ladies'
- 12.14.2018 — Remembering Pan Am Flight 103: Kathryn Turman
- 12.14.2018 — Remembering Pan Am Flight 103: Carole Johnson
- 12.14.2018 — Remembering Pan Am Flight 103: Tom McCullough
- 12.14.2018 — Remembering Pan Am Flight 103: 30 Years Later