Danish Police Superintendent on the FBI’s National Academy
Danish National Police Superintendent Eric Vand, a 20-year veteran of law enforcement, attended the FBI National Academy in Quantico, Virginia as a student and a teacher. He talks about the value of being a part of the National Academy's network of 33,000 alumni around the world.
My name is Eric Vand. I’m a superintendent at the Danish National Police. I’m responsible for the development of all advanced training programs here at the Danish National Police.
I’ve been in law enforcement for the last 20 years; the first 10 I was working on the streets of Copenhagen, and for the last 10 years I’ve been working for with the communication and training.
I was fortunate enough to be invited to the National Academy program in 2006. It’s like the idea that if you don't look outside your own organization it’s pretty hard to get smarter.
I was very impressed about my American colleagues and I was very impressed about the instructors at the Academy—how they were able to counter-perform. And I mean that in every way positive.
They did deliver. The content was high level, I think. But the way that they did it. I took a lot of that back with me. I was trying to … I was instantly trying to implement it in the way I do things—if I do teaching, if I do leadership.
The other thing was the network. I use that network today. I use the 33,000 members of the National Academy and I use that not every day but almost every week.
If not every week then every month, somebody from the Danish Police—and they could be anywhere—asks me, Do you know if the Bureau has a course on analysis or something like that. Something else. And they will call me. They won't call the organization, they will call me because they know I went through that program.
I get many requests of, Eric, can you help me get to the National Academy? Can you help? Because they want to be part of that network. And they want to get to know the Bureau and how you guys are doing things.
- 10.18.2017 — Raw Video: Operation Cross Country XI
- 10.18.2017 — Former Trafficking Victim Describes Her Ordeal and Rescue
- 10.18.2017 — Operation Cross Country: 'Our Primary Goal is to Recover Children'
- 10.12.2017 — Wanted by the FBI: Endangered Child Alert Program Seeks Information on Jane Doe 39
- 10.11.2017 — Compact Council Ratification Overview
- 10.11.2017 — Audio of Jane Doe 39
- 10.02.2017 — FBI Chicago Internships and Careers
- 09.28.2017 — Wanted by the FBI: Missing Woman Rachel Louise Cooke
- 09.26.2017 — Wanted by the FBI: New Top Ten Fugitive Santiago Villalba Mederos
- 09.21.2017 — Think Before You Post PSA
- 09.14.2017 — Future FBI in Training Program Provides Interactive Experience
- 08.18.2017 — Inside the FBI’s Public Access Line
- 08.10.2017 — Becoming an Agent: John Woodill Recalls Graduation
- 08.10.2017 — Becoming an Agent: Fulfilling a Dream
- 08.03.2017 — Becoming an Agent: Firearms Training
- 08.03.2017 — Becoming an Agent: Driving the Precision Obstacle Course (360-Degree Video)
- 08.03.2017 — Becoming an Agent: Preparing for the Field
- 08.01.2017 — 360-Degree Video of Mock Crime Scene, FBI Honolulu Adopt-a-School
- 07.31.2017 — Becoming an Agent: The First Week
- 07.28.2017 — Becoming an Agent: Inside the Classroom