Ambassador Describes FBI Role in Afghanistan
Karl Eikenberry, U.S. Ambassador to Afghanistan, describes the FBI's role in the U.S. mission in Afghanistan.
All of us had our own moment on 9/11.
All of us know, of our generation, exactly where we were when the news came.
I was in the Pentagon. And so it's been very deep in me that our homeland's security is tied to the defense of Afghanistan and to getting things right in Afghanistan.
The FBI has a very unique role to play.
Of course the FBI is the bridge back to the United States of America. The FBI is the shield in the United States of America.
What 9/11 taught us is that you can't defend from the shoreline, the United States of America, against terrorism. You have to have the shield extended globally.
They fit into a team of 16 departments and agencies of the United States government that do all this security building work, government building work, economic development work.
All great organizations, great teams. But each one different.
And I sometimes joke, especially in a setting like Afghanistan, that as U.S. Ambassador you're trying to manage 16 different United States government tribes and subtribes. And to keep them all working together.
In that regard, let's say the FBI tribe plays a very important role.
It's a highly professional organization. It's disciplined, serious, mission-oriented, always focused.
And so, as the United States Ambassador, I've got to say that when it comes to just trying to inspire all the tribes of the U.S. mission here I like to have the FBI tribe out front.
- 11.18.2020 — Highlights from Director Wray's Remarks at World Economic Forum Annual Meeting on Cybersecurity
- 11.18.2020 — FBI San Diego Thanksgiving Message
- 11.13.2020 — Remarks by Sanjay Virmani About IRGC Covert Influence Campaign
- 11.10.2020 — FBI Tampa Veterans Day Message
- 11.02.2020 — FBI Buffalo and U.S. Attorney Remarks on Integrity and Security of Elections
- 10.23.2020 — Zach Gusé: I Wanted to Let the Light In
- 10.23.2020 — Brent Gillespie: Please Come Forward
- 10.22.2020 — Branson Jernigan: It Seems Like People Have Been Forgetting About Her
- 10.21.2020 — Fresno’s Breaking the Chains Receives FBI Director’s Community Leadership Award
- 10.20.2020 — Kole Gusé: She's Probably Dead
- 10.19.2020 — Melissa Gusé: Damaged Family
- 10.18.2020 — Zach Gusé: I Lost My Mind
- 10.17.2020 — David Kaulk: We May Never See Her Again
- 10.16.2020 — Brad Bilderback: Somebody Knows Something
- 10.15.2020 — Proteger Su Voto
- 10.15.2020 — FBI Pittsburgh Remarks on QQAAZZ Indictment
- 10.15.2020 — Richard Eddy: Witness
- 10.14.2020 — Melissa Gusé: Your Mind Wanders
- 10.13.2020 — Chicago FBI Asks Public to Assist on Election Security
- 10.13.2020 — Zach Gusé: My Whole Body and Soul