Jan and Bill Lorek
Jan and Bill Lorek speak about their son Chris, an FBI Hostage Rescue Team member who died in a training accident.
Jan: I think throughout his life you saw this need to look at things very critically. Everything he did he did analytically and thoroughly. And he succeeded because that’s the kind of person he was. But he was a very deep thinker. There’s nothing asurface about him.
The one thing you have to understand about Chris is his whole life he was extremely focused. If he decided he wanted to do something he would do it.
Bill: He just had a whole lot of confidence in everything he could do.
Jan: I asked him why are you doing this because I’m worried about you. It’s fun. It’s what I was meant to do. And I do it alongside the finest men in the world. What more do you need to know. Very few people live a life with such clear purpose as Chris, and such dedication as Chris.
If he would have gone and made mom happy and didn't do all these dangerous things, maybe I wouldn't be so worried. But then you know what? He wouldn't be Chris. And you raise your children to let them go. That’s what you do. You give them roots, you give them wings.
And I never told him I didn't want him to do it, but he just knew I was always worried because I’m his mom.
Bill: I thought you did tell him you didn’t want him to go.
Jan: I didn’t say don’t do it. I said how much longer are you going to do it. And I didn't get an answer. But I think if you're a mother or parent you need to let your children go and be who they are. And that’s who he was and we’re very proud of him. And it’s what we live with. But we have memories that are incredible.
I think because of what he did I always kind of knew I’d lose him. So when you actually lose him you’re not ready. It’s just a shock. There’s nothing like losing your child. Nothing.
Bill: You know we knew, I knew, a lot of what he did, how dangerous it was. But unless you’re out there jumping out of the airplane with him or in a helicopter trying to fast-rope in somewhere, or going to down a hallway to the bad guys in the back room, you just don't know how dangerous it can be.
You can't really understand it unless you do it.
- 02.13.2017 — Victim of Romance Scam Tells Her Story
- 02.13.2017 — Special Agent Christine Beining Describes Romance Scams
- 02.07.2017 — Facebook Live Broadcast: Women Special Agents
- 02.06.2017 — FBI Sacramento Missing Person Elijah Moore Surveillance Footage
- 02.06.2017 — FBI Wanted App Promo Video
- 01.30.2017 — Houston FBI Prepares for 2017 Super Bowl
- 01.13.2017 — E-Check Tutorial: Unlock User
- 01.13.2017 — E-Check Tutorial: Submit a Search
- 01.13.2017 — E-Check Tutorial: Retrieve Status
- 01.13.2017 — E-Check Tutorial: Reset Password
- 01.13.2017 — E-Check Tutorial: Export to Excel
- 01.13.2017 — E-Check Tutorial: Change Password
- 01.13.2017 — E-Check Tutorial: Add User
- 01.13.2017 — Debt Collection Fraud Call Recording
- 01.05.2017 — 2016 Biometric Identification Award
- 01.04.2017 — Interested in Becoming a Special Agent?
- 12.22.2016 — Denuncie la Corrupción en la Frontera al FBI
- 12.22.2016 — Don’t Turn a Blind Eye, Report Border Corruption to the FBI
- 12.21.2016 — National Use of Force Data Collection
- 12.19.2016 — The Coming Storm