Jan and Bill Lorek
Jan and Bill Lorek speak about their son Chris, an FBI Hostage Rescue Team member who died in a training accident.
Jan: I think throughout his life you saw this need to look at things very critically. Everything he did he did analytically and thoroughly. And he succeeded because that’s the kind of person he was. But he was a very deep thinker. There’s nothing asurface about him.
The one thing you have to understand about Chris is his whole life he was extremely focused. If he decided he wanted to do something he would do it.
Bill: He just had a whole lot of confidence in everything he could do.
Jan: I asked him why are you doing this because I’m worried about you. It’s fun. It’s what I was meant to do. And I do it alongside the finest men in the world. What more do you need to know. Very few people live a life with such clear purpose as Chris, and such dedication as Chris.
If he would have gone and made mom happy and didn't do all these dangerous things, maybe I wouldn't be so worried. But then you know what? He wouldn't be Chris. And you raise your children to let them go. That’s what you do. You give them roots, you give them wings.
And I never told him I didn't want him to do it, but he just knew I was always worried because I’m his mom.
Bill: I thought you did tell him you didn’t want him to go.
Jan: I didn’t say don’t do it. I said how much longer are you going to do it. And I didn't get an answer. But I think if you're a mother or parent you need to let your children go and be who they are. And that’s who he was and we’re very proud of him. And it’s what we live with. But we have memories that are incredible.
I think because of what he did I always kind of knew I’d lose him. So when you actually lose him you’re not ready. It’s just a shock. There’s nothing like losing your child. Nothing.
Bill: You know we knew, I knew, a lot of what he did, how dangerous it was. But unless you’re out there jumping out of the airplane with him or in a helicopter trying to fast-rope in somewhere, or going to down a hallway to the bad guys in the back room, you just don't know how dangerous it can be.
You can't really understand it unless you do it.
- 03.08.2023 — FBI Jacksonville Diversity Agent Recruitment Event Trailer: Special Agent Alex Silverstein
- 03.08.2023 — FBI Jacksonville Diversity Agent Recruitment Event Trailer: Special Agent Justin Brannon
- 03.08.2023 — FBI Jacksonville Diversity Agent Recruitment Event Trailer: Special Agent Lauren Regucci
- 03.08.2023 — FBI Jacksonville Diversity Agent Recruitment Event Trailer: Special Agent in Charge Sherri Onks
- 03.03.2023 — FBI Pittsburgh joint operation_03032023
- 02.09.2023 — Chinese High-Altitude Balloon Recovery
- 02.06.2023 — Inside The FBI Podcast: For The Love Of Money
- 02.01.2023 — Inside the FBI Podcast: Romance Scams (2021 Rerelease)
- 02.01.2023 — Inside the FBI Podcast: Submitting Tips to the Bureau
- 01.31.2023 — FBI Seattle Discusses Myths of Human Trafficking
- 01.16.2023 — FBI Announces $10,000 Reward for Information Leading to Arrest in Unsolved Murders
- 01.13.2023 — Section Chief Jose Perez on Violent Crime Operations
- 01.12.2023 — Sextortion PSA – Salt Lake City
- 01.10.2023 — Madalina Cojocari Missing Person's Vodcast
- 12.29.2022 — FBI Atlanta: Surveillance in Ebenezer Baptist Church Vandalism Investigation
- 11.22.2022 — FBI Charlotte: Surveillance Video in Crisis Pregnancy Center Arson Investigation (2 of 2)
- 11.21.2022 — B-Roll JCODE Takedown Los Angeles 110122
- 11.18.2022 — FBI Philadelphia: Surveillance Video in Serial Armed Robberies Investigation (September 12, 2022 Robbery)
- 11.18.2022 — FBI Philadelphia: Surveillance Video in Serial Armed Robberies Investigation (October 8, 2022 Robbery)
- 11.15.2022 — FBI Charlotte: Surveillance Video in Crisis Pregnancy Center Arson Investigation (1 of 2)
FBI Weekly Newsletter
Subscribe to our email newsletter for news on the FBI, sent out every week.