Jan and Bill Lorek
Jan and Bill Lorek speak about their son Chris, an FBI Hostage Rescue Team member who died in a training accident.
Jan: I think throughout his life you saw this need to look at things very critically. Everything he did he did analytically and thoroughly. And he succeeded because that’s the kind of person he was. But he was a very deep thinker. There’s nothing asurface about him.
The one thing you have to understand about Chris is his whole life he was extremely focused. If he decided he wanted to do something he would do it.
Bill: He just had a whole lot of confidence in everything he could do.
Jan: I asked him why are you doing this because I’m worried about you. It’s fun. It’s what I was meant to do. And I do it alongside the finest men in the world. What more do you need to know. Very few people live a life with such clear purpose as Chris, and such dedication as Chris.
If he would have gone and made mom happy and didn't do all these dangerous things, maybe I wouldn't be so worried. But then you know what? He wouldn't be Chris. And you raise your children to let them go. That’s what you do. You give them roots, you give them wings.
And I never told him I didn't want him to do it, but he just knew I was always worried because I’m his mom.
Bill: I thought you did tell him you didn’t want him to go.
Jan: I didn’t say don’t do it. I said how much longer are you going to do it. And I didn't get an answer. But I think if you're a mother or parent you need to let your children go and be who they are. And that’s who he was and we’re very proud of him. And it’s what we live with. But we have memories that are incredible.
I think because of what he did I always kind of knew I’d lose him. So when you actually lose him you’re not ready. It’s just a shock. There’s nothing like losing your child. Nothing.
Bill: You know we knew, I knew, a lot of what he did, how dangerous it was. But unless you’re out there jumping out of the airplane with him or in a helicopter trying to fast-rope in somewhere, or going to down a hallway to the bad guys in the back room, you just don't know how dangerous it can be.
You can't really understand it unless you do it.
- 07.19.2018 — FBI Phoenix - Mazatzal Casino Robbery on July 17, 2018 (1 of 2)
- 07.19.2018 — FBI Phoenix - Mazatzal Casino Robbery on July 17, 2018 (2 of 2)
- 07.13.2018 — FBI St. Louis – Armed Business Robbery on June 23, 2018
- 07.13.2018 — Chicago Youth Baseball Leagues Benefit from FBI Fraud Case
- 06.28.2018 — Wanted by the FBI: Reward Available for Ten Most Wanted Fugitive Antwan Mims
- 06.11.2018 — FBI Swears In Honors Interns
- 05.25.2018 — FBI New York - Citgo Robbery on February 14, 2018
- 05.15.2018 — Tennessee Ponzi Scheme Preyed on Friends and Neighbors
- 05.07.2018 — Reporting Cyber Crime is as Easy as IC3
- 04.27.2018 — Director’s Community Leadership Awards promotional video
- 04.26.2018 — Facebook Live Event - Becoming an Intelligence Analyst
- 04.25.2018 — 2017 Director's Community Leadership Awards
- 04.19.2018 — FBI San Francisco Division completes final day at RSA Conference
- 04.19.2018 — FBI San Francisco Division wraps up 2018 RSA Conference
- 04.18.2018 — Recruiting seminar at the FBI San Francisco Division booth at the 2018 RSA Conference
- 04.18.2018 — Meet an FBI Bomb Technician and working K-9 at the 2018 RSA Conference
- 04.18.2018 — San Francisco section chief to speak at 2018 RSA Conference
- 04.18.2018 — Visit the FBI San Francisco Division booth at the 2018 RSA Conference
- 04.12.2018 — Wanted by the FBI: Rafael Caro-Quintero Added to Ten Most Wanted Fugitives List
- 04.03.2018 — Operation Targets Dark Web Drug Buyers