Protecting Aircraft from Lasers: Soundbites for Media
Soundbites for media from FBI and Airline Pilots Association, International officials on the threat posed by lasers to aircraft.
John Kitzinger, Unit Chief, FBI Violent Crimes Unit
- If you think this is a prank, I can assure you it is not. This is a felony—a federal crime—for which you can be placed in federal prison for up to five years.
- The FBI has airport liaison agents assigned to all of our 56 field offices working with our state, local, and federal partners. They are going to aggressively investigate this type of crime.
- Lasing an aircraft is extremely dangerous to the pilot as well as the passengers on board that aircraft and the people on the ground. What if this were your family aboard that aircraft? You would want them to be safe and protected. The FBI is taking this crime very seriously. We don’t want a catastrophe to happen.
- We just want the public to be force multipliers for law enforcement, and when they see something suspicious or they hear of someone engaging in this type of conduct, that they report it to law enforcement.
Captain Fred Eissler, ALPA, Aviation Security Chairman
- Right now we are in one of the safest periods of aviation history, but the consequences of lasing an aircraft in a critical phase of flight can have dire consequences.
Captain Robert Hamilton, ALPA Security Council Chairman
- It is a tremendous distraction within the flight deck. It is a very real safety hazard, and it brings the very real possibility of having an aircraft accident as the result of this action.
- 10.12.2018 — Wanted by the FBI: Lamont Stephenson Added to Ten Most Wanted Fugitives List
- 10.11.2018 — New Sit-Up Protocol for FBI Mandatory Physical Fitness Test
- 10.03.2018 — FBI Phoenix: Mismatch Bandit, September 25, 2018 Walgreens Pharmacy Robbery
- 10.03.2018 — FBI Phoenix: Mismatch Bandit, September 15, 2018 Subway Shop Robbery
- 09.24.2018 — Daughter of Slain Virginia Trooper Seeks Clues in Unsolved Case
- 09.24.2018 — FBI Crime Data Explorer
- 09.04.2018 — Facebook Live Event: An Inside Look at Physical Fitness
- 09.03.2018 — Smithsonian Assists FBI in Minnesota Ruby Slippers Case
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Information Security (InfoSec)
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Wi-Fi
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Social Engineering
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Virtual Private Networks
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Safer Campaign Communications
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Router Hardening
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Patching, Firewalls, and Anti-Virus Software
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Passwords
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Incident Response
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Have You Been Hacked?
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Cloud-Based Services
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Browser and App Safety