Jennifer Lorek speaks about her husband Chris Lorek, an FBI Hostage Rescue Team member who died during a training accident.
He was a very focused and driven individual. And I didn't completely realize that when we were in college.
He was always looking for the next step up that he needed to do. You know, OK, I got in the FBI, now what do I need to do?
Oh, I need to be a special agent.
OK, now I’m a special agent, now what do I need to do?
Oh, I need to be on the SWAT Team.
OK, now I’m on the SWAT Team doing counterintelligence. What do I need to do?
Oh, I need to be on HRT. Oh, now I’m on HRT, I need to be a sniper on HRT. I need to be the best shooter on HRT. You know what I’m saying?
If he hadn't been an FBI agent. If he had been an engineer I’m sure he would have been the best engineer he could be. So I don't think necessarily that he was born to be in the FBI, but once he decided that was something he was going to do, then it was just in his personality to take everything to the next level.
When he was in Afghanistan he was in combat situations, which I didn’t know at the time, but which when I found out when he got back … but I think you’ll agree with me in saying no matter how dangerous a situation you or somebody that you love is in, you never really think that anything’s really going to happen.
Stuff always happens to other people. But it never really happens to you.
So, I’m not the kind of person who sits there just worrying about is he going to be OK all the time. Yeah, if I tried to call him or page him and he wasn’t answering me for 10 hours, would I start to think did he have a wreck? Did something happen? Yes, But then he would always call me.
You don’t really think it’s going to happen to you.
Some people I think when their spouse dies, they think about all the stuff that they’re going to have to take over that their spouse did. Like he took care of all the bills. Or he took care of the cars. Or he took care of this or that. Or what am I going to do about taking care of the kids?
I didn’t worry about any of that. The thing that I thought of, the very first, one of the very first things I thought of was, I’m just going to miss him. I’m just going to miss him to talk to. Just to hang out with. Not what he did for me or for the kids. But just him as a person, just being there to do stuff with and have a life with.
- 02.20.2024 — Seeking Information: Jenna Franks
- 02.16.2024 — Deputy Director Paul Abbate Statement on LockBit Ransomware Group
- 02.14.2024 — Romance Scams, Revisited
- 02.14.2024 — FBI New Haven - FLEYA - Future Law Enforcement Youth Academy
- 02.13.2024 — FBI Salt Lake City Warns of Romance Scams
- 02.13.2024 — Search For Asha Continues
- 02.13.2024 — Military Romance Scams
- 02.08.2024 — Run, Hide, Fight – Safe in Schools
- 02.08.2024 — Securing the Super Bowl
- 02.08.2024 — Las Vegas Bomb Tech Talks Super Bowl Prep
- 01.30.2024 — Operation Dead Hand B-Roll
- 01.26.2024 — Inside the FBI Podcast: Top Ten Fugitive Vitel'Homme Innocent
- 01.22.2024 — FBI Detroit Financial Sextortion PSA
- 01.22.2024 — FBI Sacramento Citizen's Academy
- 01.19.2024 — Salt Lake Sextortion PSA
- 01.12.2024 — PSA: Financial Sextortion is a Crime (Horizontal Format)
- 01.12.2024 — PSA: Financial Sextortion is a Crime (Vertical Format)
- 01.09.2024 — FBI Salt Lake Hate Crimes PSA - Farsi Language
- 01.09.2024 — FBI Salt Lake Hate Crimes PSA - Turkish Language
- 01.09.2024 — FBI Salt Lake Hate Crimes PSA - Dari Language