FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center
The FBI’s Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) provides the public with a trustworthy and convenient reporting mechanism to submit information concerning suspected Internet-facilitated criminal activity.
The Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) was established in 2000 to receive reports of Internet crime from the public.
Since its inception, more than 4 million complaints have been reported to the IC3.
Last year, 298,728 complaints reported losses of more than $1.3 billion.
The IC3, part of the FBI's Cyber Division, receives about 800 complaints a day.
In 2016, the IC3 received 17,146 extortion-related complaints and 10,850 tech support fraud complaints with losses in excess of $27 million.
Only about 15 percent of U.S. fraud victims report the crimes to law enforcement.
Analysts use information from complaints to spot emerging threats and trends.
Complaints are aggregated to build referrals, which are forwarded to law enforcement agencies for potential investigation.
In 2016, the top three reported crime types were non-payment and non-delivery, personal data breach, and payment scams.
Since 2011, the IC3 has received about 280,000 complaints annually.
The IC3's data center and analysts are located in West Virginia.
To learn more about online scams or to file a complaint, visit www.ic3.gov.
- 10.12.2018 — Wanted by the FBI: Lamont Stephenson Added to Ten Most Wanted Fugitives List
- 10.11.2018 — New Sit-Up Protocol for FBI Mandatory Physical Fitness Test
- 10.03.2018 — FBI Phoenix: Mismatch Bandit, September 25, 2018 Walgreens Pharmacy Robbery
- 10.03.2018 — FBI Phoenix: Mismatch Bandit, September 15, 2018 Subway Shop Robbery
- 09.24.2018 — Daughter of Slain Virginia Trooper Seeks Clues in Unsolved Case
- 09.24.2018 — FBI Crime Data Explorer
- 09.04.2018 — Facebook Live Event: An Inside Look at Physical Fitness
- 09.03.2018 — Smithsonian Assists FBI in Minnesota Ruby Slippers Case
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Information Security (InfoSec)
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Wi-Fi
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Social Engineering
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Virtual Private Networks
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Safer Campaign Communications
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Router Hardening
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Patching, Firewalls, and Anti-Virus Software
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Passwords
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Incident Response
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Have You Been Hacked?
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Cloud-Based Services
- 08.30.2018 — Protected Voices: Browser and App Safety