FBI Internet Crime Complaint Center
The FBI’s Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) provides the public with a trustworthy and convenient reporting mechanism to submit information concerning suspected Internet-facilitated criminal activity.
The Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) was established in 2000 to receive reports of Internet crime from the public.
Since its inception, more than 4 million complaints have been reported to the IC3.
Last year, 298,728 complaints reported losses of more than $1.3 billion.
The IC3, part of the FBI's Cyber Division, receives about 800 complaints a day.
In 2016, the IC3 received 17,146 extortion-related complaints and 10,850 tech support fraud complaints with losses in excess of $27 million.
Only about 15 percent of U.S. fraud victims report the crimes to law enforcement.
Analysts use information from complaints to spot emerging threats and trends.
Complaints are aggregated to build referrals, which are forwarded to law enforcement agencies for potential investigation.
In 2016, the top three reported crime types were non-payment and non-delivery, personal data breach, and payment scams.
Since 2011, the IC3 has received about 280,000 complaints annually.
The IC3's data center and analysts are located in West Virginia.
To learn more about online scams or to file a complaint, visit www.ic3.gov.
- 09.15.2023 — Inside the FBI Podcast: The FBI's Safe Online Surfing Internet Challenge
- 09.09.2023 — Nationals Video 2023
- 08.29.2023 — FBI Director Christopher Wray Announces Major Operation Targeting the Qakbot Botnet
- 08.23.2023 — Little Rock Operation Cross Country 2023
- 08.18.2023 — Inside the FBI Podcast: Searching for Steven
- 08.16.2023 — FBI Kansas Intern Experience 2023
- 08.15.2023 — Susan Wright talks about FBI Richmond's Diversity Agent Recruitment Event
- 08.15.2023 — Dave Kadela talks about FBI Richmond's Diversity Agent Recruitment Event
- 08.15.2023 — Britany Perkins DAR Video
- 08.14.2023 — FBI Safe Online Surfing (SOS) Program
- 08.08.2023 — Making Sense of FISA Section 702
- 08.01.2023 — Video Footage from Operation Cross Country 13
- 07.31.2023 — Defending Against AI Threats
- 07.28.2023 — FBI Dallas Joint Operation Targets Gang Members, Violent Criminals
- 07.27.2023 — FBI Columbia Citizens Academy
- 07.27.2023 — Identity Theft Victim Shares Her Story
- 07.26.2023 — Director Wray Addresses FBI Atlanta Cyber Threat Summit
- 07.26.2023 — FBI Cyber and Nebraska Farm Bureau
- 07.24.2023 — Director Wray NOBLE Speech
- 07.20.2023 — Director Wray Lauds the FBI's Partnerships