FBI Training at the ‘Body Farm’ (360º)
FBI Special Agent Heather Thew describes the role of forensic anthropology in training Evidence Response Teams to investigate crime scenes.
Text slide: Special Agent Heather Threw describes the role of forensic anthropology at the FBI’s Recovery of Human Remains course.
Heather Thew, special agent, FBI Laboratory Division: The recovery process, in and of itself, is destructive, right?
Because as we dig, we are destroying the context. So we need to document as we process, just like any crime scene. It’s actually the exact same as any crime scene. Archeology in itself, because you’re digging up and uncovering evidence but you’re also taking away the context that evidence sat in—the layers of soil that were mixed, the temperature, anything else that’s associated with that burial—you’re taking it away as you’re collecting that evidence.
At the end, what you end up with is hopefully a nicely packaged bag of evidence. But you also have the information about where it came from, what situation it was in when you found it. Right?
We fully document how we find things in situ—in its original location—so that we can tell that story about how we found it.
- 10.19.2020 — Melissa Gusé: Damaged Family
- 10.18.2020 — Zach Gusé: I Lost My Mind
- 10.17.2020 — David Kaulk: We May Never See Her Again
- 10.16.2020 — Brad Bilderback: Somebody Knows Something
- 10.15.2020 — Proteger Su Voto
- 10.15.2020 — FBI Pittsburgh Remarks on QQAAZZ Indictment
- 10.15.2020 — Richard Eddy: Witness
- 10.14.2020 — Melissa Gusé: Your Mind Wanders
- 10.13.2020 — Chicago FBI Asks Public to Assist on Election Security
- 10.13.2020 — Zach Gusé: My Whole Body and Soul
- 10.07.2020 — In the Aftermath
- 10.06.2020 — FBI San Diego Describes Election Security Efforts
- 10.06.2020 — Safeguarding Your Vote: A Joint Message on Election Security
- 10.05.2020 — FBI San Francisco Statement on East Bay PPP Case
- 09.30.2020 — The Nevernight Connection
- 09.29.2020 — FBI Dallas Describes Role in Protecting Election Process
- 09.25.2020 — The Right to Vote
- 09.25.2020 — Voter Fraud
- 09.25.2020 — Election Laws
- 09.25.2020 — Protecting Elections