FBI San Francisco Announces Arrest of Alleged Murder Suspect
Craig Fair, deputy special agent in Charge of the FBI San Francisco Division, announces the August 14, 2020 arrest of Fernando Madrigal, aka Nando, by the FBI and the San Francisco Police Department, for the murder of a 15-year-old victim in the furtherance of gang activity.
Deputy Special Agent in Charge of the FBI San Francisco Division Craig Fair: I’m Craig Fair, deputy special agent in Charge of the FBI San Francisco Division. This morning, the FBI and the San Francisco Police Department arrested Fernando Madrigal, aka Nando, for the murder of a 15-year-old victim in the furtherance of gang activity. Our FBI SWAT team participated in the arrest due to the violent nature of the alleged murder. It is our duty to ensure the public’s safety and the safety of all law enforcement officers during the course of an arrest.
This murder was senseless and horrific. The victim, just 15 years old, was targeted because of the neighborhood he lived in. On July 8, 2019, he was shot near his home in the Mission District. SFPD quickly responded and called an ambulance, but the victim was shot in the back and he was not breathing. Despite the efforts of first responders, he was sadly pronounced dead just 10 minutes after the shots were fired.
Today we are alleging that Fernando Madrigal fired these shots. Madrigal is a member of the Mission District Norteños, a local street gang with a long history of violence, murder, drive-by shootings, stabbings, and beatings. We are alleging that Madrigal killed this victim over a meaningless territorial dispute with a rival gang. The FBI Safe Streets Task Force, SFPD Homicide, and the SFPD Gang Task Force have confirmed Madrigal’s gang membership through a series of law enforcement actions, Madrigal’s own statements, and additional evidence we collected from his social media accounts, including his Instagram account. Over the past year, we have investigated this horrific crime, painstakingly examining all the evidence. I want to thank the employees of the FBI, SFPD, and the US Attorney’s Office for working tirelessly and carefully to find justice for this victim’s family.
The FBI and SFPD are highly effective partners, dedicated to keeping the city of San Francisco safe. We work hand-in-hand to arrest violent offenders. We will continue to investigate street violence that’s targeting the children of our city, and, disproportionally, communities of color and people who are struggling to get by.
The FBI’s Safe Streets Task Force investigates, pursues, and dismantles violent gangs and criminal organizations that terrorize our streets. We target gang leadership and the most violent offenders in these gangs so that we can make our streets safer. No one should be afraid to walk in their own neighborhood, and no one deserves to lose their son or daughter to gang violence. This level of violence is unacceptable.
This case is ongoing, and our pursuit of violent gangs always continues. If you have any information on violent gang activity, please contact the FBI through tips.fbi.gov or by calling 415-553-7400. All tips can remain anonymous. Thank you.
- 09.17.2020 — New Charges, Plea Deals in SF City Hall Corruption Investigation
- 09.17.2020 — FBI Charlotte Honors Interns Talk About Their Experiences
- 09.17.2020 — Director Wray Voices Support for Police During House Testimony
- 09.16.2020 — Director Wray Addresses CISA Cybersecurity Summit
- 08.26.2020 — FBI Portland Issues Statement on Unrest and Requests Public Tips
- 08.21.2020 — Seeking Information in Pharmaceutical Robberies in Maryland and Pennsylvania
- 08.21.2020 — FBI Kansas City - 100th Anniversary
- 08.21.2020 — Seeking Missing 21-Year-Old Mother; $10,000 Reward for Information
- 08.20.2020 — FBI Statement on the Charging of Former Uber CSO for Covering Up 2016 Hack
- 08.20.2020 — Seeking Information in Kansas City Mobile Phone Store Robberies
- 08.14.2020 — FBI Cincinnati Remembers Special Agent Nelson B. Klein
- 08.12.2020 — Central Records Complex Opens to House FBI Files
- 08.06.2020 — FBI Boston: Vandalism and Arson of a Providence Police Department Cruiser
- 08.05.2020 — FBI Cleveland: CVS Robbery Surveillance Footage
- 07.31.2020 — FBI San Francisco Remarks on Twitter Security Incident Investigation
- 07.22.2020 — Underwater Post-Blast: Examining Evidence
- 07.22.2020 — Underwater Post-Blast: Student on Boat
- 07.22.2020 — Post-Blast Training Boat Wake Loop
- 07.22.2020 — Underwater Post-Blast: Diver Enters Water