FBI Salt Lake City Scam Victim Tells Their Story
In August of 2017, "Darlene" met "Giovanni" who scammed her out of almost $530,000.
This is the first time I’ve ever felt like I wanted to get my story out there.
In August of 2017, “Darlene” joined an online date site where she met a man named “Giovanni”.
I gave him my phone number because he seemed so authentic. Well within probably three weeks or so he was expressing that he was falling in love me with me. He told me that he had to travel to Turkey for his job. He said he was an architect and a contractor.
Giovanni told her he needed money for an overseas job so she “loaned” him $30,000.
Just ecstatic and said, ‘Oh, I’m going to pay you every penny back, I'm going to give you more for doing this for me.’ Probably within about week or two, he contacted me and he said that he needed more money—to help me—we're going. We're going through this together. We're going to get married. He asked me for money multiple times. There was always a reason. I was seeing some flags, but I was ignoring them. The total amount of money he received from me was $530,000. It was money I needed to retire on, and that's why I'm still working at almost the age of 74. How could I have fallen for this? But it happens to so many people, all walks of life. I do not want it to happen to anyone else.
In 2021, romance scam victims reported losses of approximately $1 billion. If you suspect you’re a victim, cease contact, call police or the FBI, and file a complaint at ic3.gov.
- 02.06.2023 — Inside The FBI Podcast: For The Love Of Money
- 02.01.2023 — Inside the FBI Podcast: Romance Scams (2021 Rerelease)
- 02.01.2023 — Inside the FBI Podcast: Submitting Tips to the Bureau
- 01.31.2023 — FBI Seattle Discusses Myths of Human Trafficking
- 01.16.2023 — FBI Announces $10,000 Reward for Information Leading to Arrest in Unsolved Murders
- 01.13.2023 — Section Chief Jose Perez on Violent Crime Operations
- 01.12.2023 — Sextortion PSA – Salt Lake City
- 01.10.2023 — Madalina Cojocari Missing Person's Vodcast
- 12.29.2022 — FBI Atlanta: Surveillance in Ebenezer Baptist Church Vandalism Investigation
- 11.22.2022 — FBI Charlotte: Surveillance Video in Crisis Pregnancy Center Arson Investigation (2 of 2)
- 11.21.2022 — B-Roll JCODE Takedown Los Angeles 110122
- 11.18.2022 — FBI Philadelphia: Surveillance Video in Serial Armed Robberies Investigation (September 12, 2022 Robbery)
- 11.18.2022 — FBI Philadelphia: Surveillance Video in Serial Armed Robberies Investigation (October 8, 2022 Robbery)
- 11.15.2022 — FBI Charlotte: Surveillance Video in Crisis Pregnancy Center Arson Investigation (1 of 2)
- 11.14.2022 — FBI Buffalo: Surveillance in CompassCare Arson Investigation
- 11.11.2022 — Little Rock B-Roll 110922
- 11.07.2022 — FBI and Wounded Warrior Regiment Connect for Career and Fitness Event
- 10.25.2022 — FBI Honolulu and Bank of Guam Describe Cybersecurity Partnership
- 10.06.2022 — FBI and Moderna Describe Cybersecurity Partnership (Short)
- 10.06.2022 — FBI and Moderna Describe Cybersecurity Partnership (Long)