FBI Salt Lake City Scam Victim Tells Their Story
In August of 2017, "Darlene" met "Giovanni" who scammed her out of almost $530,000.
This is the first time I’ve ever felt like I wanted to get my story out there.
In August of 2017, “Darlene” joined an online date site where she met a man named “Giovanni”.
I gave him my phone number because he seemed so authentic. Well within probably three weeks or so he was expressing that he was falling in love me with me. He told me that he had to travel to Turkey for his job. He said he was an architect and a contractor.
Giovanni told her he needed money for an overseas job so she “loaned” him $30,000.
Just ecstatic and said, ‘Oh, I’m going to pay you every penny back, I'm going to give you more for doing this for me.’ Probably within about week or two, he contacted me and he said that he needed more money—to help me—we're going. We're going through this together. We're going to get married. He asked me for money multiple times. There was always a reason. I was seeing some flags, but I was ignoring them. The total amount of money he received from me was $530,000. It was money I needed to retire on, and that's why I'm still working at almost the age of 74. How could I have fallen for this? But it happens to so many people, all walks of life. I do not want it to happen to anyone else.
In 2021, romance scam victims reported losses of approximately $1 billion. If you suspect you’re a victim, cease contact, call police or the FBI, and file a complaint at ic3.gov.
- 09.15.2023 — Inside the FBI Podcast: The FBI's Safe Online Surfing Internet Challenge
- 09.09.2023 — Nationals Video 2023
- 08.29.2023 — FBI Director Christopher Wray Announces Major Operation Targeting the Qakbot Botnet
- 08.23.2023 — Little Rock Operation Cross Country 2023
- 08.18.2023 — Inside the FBI Podcast: Searching for Steven
- 08.16.2023 — FBI Kansas Intern Experience 2023
- 08.15.2023 — Susan Wright talks about FBI Richmond's Diversity Agent Recruitment Event
- 08.15.2023 — Dave Kadela talks about FBI Richmond's Diversity Agent Recruitment Event
- 08.15.2023 — Britany Perkins DAR Video
- 08.14.2023 — FBI Safe Online Surfing (SOS) Program
- 08.08.2023 — Making Sense of FISA Section 702
- 08.01.2023 — Video Footage from Operation Cross Country 13
- 07.31.2023 — Defending Against AI Threats
- 07.28.2023 — FBI Dallas Joint Operation Targets Gang Members, Violent Criminals
- 07.27.2023 — FBI Columbia Citizens Academy
- 07.27.2023 — Identity Theft Victim Shares Her Story
- 07.26.2023 — Director Wray Addresses FBI Atlanta Cyber Threat Summit
- 07.26.2023 — FBI Cyber and Nebraska Farm Bureau
- 07.24.2023 — Director Wray NOBLE Speech
- 07.20.2023 — Director Wray Lauds the FBI's Partnerships