The FBI: A Career Like No Other
FBI employees discuss the benefits of working for the Bureau.
The FBI is at the center of American life in a lot of different ways. It’s independent, it’s honest and it’s competent, and its mission is to protect this country. That gives it a very special place in the life of the United States.
It is about coming together with other people to do something bigger than yourself and to make the country and the world a safer place, and a more just place, and I don’t think any paycheck, or any benefits, or any stock options could ever beat that bigger mission.
I’ve gone places that I never would have gone, I’ve seen things that I never would have seen, I’ve been involved in, uh, a lot of major investigations, so uh, it really has been (pause), one of the best things that I’ve done in my life.
Work in the FBI is no routine. Every day something new comes up. It’s always exciting.
It doesn’t matter what you look like, it doesn’t matter (pause) your accent, it doesn’t matter who you love, it doesn’t matter what God you believe in, it doesn’t matter, I mean, this is a place where you can come to work and feel really good about yourself and really feel that you’re making a difference.
The people who decide to work for the FBI are people with a different orientation than most folks. They care about serving others. That’s what they treasure in life. It’s not about money, it’s about helping the people who need them.
So one of the big misconceptions is that there is only one type of job, an agent job in the FBI. When in truth, there’s a whole range of different jobs, and there’s space for a lot of different personalities in those jobs.
You’re not just here in the office, you’re out investigating matters. You’re stopping bad things from happening and you’re locking up the bad guys.
But it’s the dedication to a mission beyond yourself, that takes you that distance that takes you over the hurdles, that gives you something to always wake up to and say, it’s not just the office, it’s not the person I’m partnered with, it’s not just the paperwork, it’s just not this or that – it’s the fact that you’re serving this country in a way that, overall, very very few people do.
I think the best thing about working for the FBI is walking through the Hoover building, through the doors every day and knowing that everybody doesn’t get to do that and we have a really important mission. Um, it just reinforces the fact that, millions of people count on us to keep them safe every day, and most of them will never know what we’ve done.
One of my proudest moments, um, was honestly, uh, taking the oath, and uh, becoming an FBI employee. I was in a room with, you know, other people and we were all really amazed at the impact that oath meant.
We want people who want to do good. That should be people from all walks of life, old and young, black, white, latino, Asian, it doesn’t matter. If you care about doing something good for your country, this is a place you ought to think about.
You will be so proud to talk about your job. And how cool the job is, and how important the job is, and how much difference you can make.
- 05.14.2017 — E-Check: Edit Search Criteria at Validation Screen
- 05.03.2017 — Special Agent Theo Williams
- 05.03.2017 — 2016 Director’s Community Leadership Awards
- 05.03.2017 — Special Agent Al Tribble
- 05.03.2017 — FBI Recruitment Video
- 05.03.2017 — Special Agent Dan Rodriguez
- 05.03.2017 — Special Agent Erin Sheridan
- 05.03.2017 — Special Agent Jean O'Connor
- 05.02.2017 — Los Angeles Diversity Agent Recruiting
- 04.19.2017 — Wanted by the FBI: Top Ten Fugitive Bhadreshkumar Chetanbhai Patel
- 04.18.2017 — Newark Press Conference on Ten Most Wanted Fugitive Walter Yovany Gomez
- 04.12.2017 — Wanted by the FBI: Top Ten Fugitive Walter Yovany Gomez
- 03.27.2017 — Israel Legal Attaché Cary Gleicher Describes the FBI’s Role Overseas
- 03.27.2017 — Israel National Police General Describes Partnership with FBI
- 03.24.2017 — Seeking Information in Pasadena Cheesecake Factory Explosion
- 03.23.2017 — Wanted by the FBI: Missing Woman Amy Lynn Bradley
- 03.23.2017 — Agent Tam Dao Describes Joining FBI
- 03.23.2017 — Agent Hesham Elgamiel Describes Joining FBI
- 03.23.2017 — Agent Alfred Tribble, Jr. Describes Joining FBI
- 03.23.2017 — SAC Perrye K. Turner Describes Importance of Diversity