Stay Cybersecure This Holiday Season
The FBI and CISA have launched a public service announcement sharing ways you can stay cybersecure this holiday season.
Jen Easterly: Happy holidays everybody! I’m Jen Easterly, Director of the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA).
Bryan Vorndran: Happy holidays! I’m Bryan Vorndran, Assistant Director of the FBI’s Cyber Division.
Jen Easterly: As we enter the holidays, CISA and the FBI would like to share some tips to help our partners stay safe and secure during this holiday season.
Bryan Vorndran: Bad cyber actors aren’t making the same holiday plans as you – in fact, they may see the holidays as a good time to take advantage...
Jen Easterly: ...of the vulnerabilities inside your networks and systems while staffing is low and offices are closed.
Bryan Vorndran: Luckily, there are steps you can take to proactively protect yourself and your business against disruptive or damaging cyberattacks...
Jen Easterly: ...so you can focus on what’s most important, and that is time with family and friends.
Bryan Vorndran: CISA and the FBI encourage IT leaders, and leaders of businesses large and small, to take actions today...
Jen Easterly: ...that will help protect your systems and data:
Bryan Vorndran: Okay first, identify IT security employees for weekends and holidays who would be available to surge...
Jen Easterly: ...during these times in the event of an incident or ransomware attack.
Bryan Vorndran: Next, require all staff to use strong passwords and ensure they use different passwords for each account.
Jen Easterly: And, put multi-factor authentication in place for remote access and administrative accounts.
Bryan Vorndran: In fact, this is a good practice for all your personal online accounts.
Jen Easterly: If you use remote desktop protocol (RDP) or any other potentially risky service, ensure it is secure and monitored.
Bryan Vorndran: Talk with employees about how to recognize Phishing emails and why they should never click on a suspicious link.
Jen Easterly: And finally, review and update your incident response and communications plan.
Bryan Vorndran: We urge network defenders to prepare and remain alert over the upcoming holiday season and to quickly report any suspicious activity.
Jen Easterly: Remember, cyber risk is business risk, and cyber security is national security.
Bryan Vorndran: Together, we can defend America’s values, ingenuity, critical infrastructure, and business equities through robust and enduring partnerships.
Jen Easterly: Ultimately, good cybersecurity is not about technology – it's about people.
Bryan Vorndran: Your cyber safety should be treated like your physical safety.
Jen Easterly: Stay vigilant, take action to protect yourself and trust your instincts.
Bryan Vorndran: If something doesn't look right, there's a good chance it isn't.
Jen Easterly: Let’s work to make sure we can all enjoy some peace of mind this holiday season.
- 01.12.2022 — Inside the FBI Podcast: Fighting Violent Crime
- 12.21.2021 — FBI Seattle Warns About Ransomware
- 12.07.2021 — FBI Salt Lake City Shares Tips to Avoid Holiday Scams
- 12.06.2021 — Consumer Shares Their Holiday Shopping Scam Experience
- 12.02.2021 — Victim of Romance Scam Who Became Money Mule Tells Story
- 11.23.2021 — Citizens Academy Alumni Association President Reflects on Organization's Role
- 11.22.2021 — Karen Corrigan Describes Role of FBI Citizens Academy Alumni Association
- 11.19.2021 — FBI Salt Lake City Warns About Holiday Scams
- 11.18.2021 — Iranian Nationals Charged with Interfering in 2020 U.S. Presidential Election
- 11.16.2021 — Sister of Missing Woman Katelin Akens Marks Six Years Since Disappearance
- 11.16.2021 — Mother of Katelin Akens Marks Six Years Since Daughter's Disappearance
- 11.15.2021 — Inside the FBI: Health Care Fraud
- 11.15.2021 — Friend of Missing Person John Tran Seeks Clues in Disappearance
- 11.15.2021 — Missing Person: John Bui Tran
- 11.05.2021 — FBI and Dominion Energy Describe Cybersecurity Partnership
- 11.05.2021 — FBI and Dominion Energy Describe Cybersecurity Partnership (Extended)
- 10.29.2021 — Inside the FBI Podcast: UFOs
- 10.29.2021 — FBI New Haven: Help Stop Hate Crimes
- 10.26.2021 — FBI and Partners Target Online Drug Markets