Stay Cybersecure This Holiday Season
The FBI and CISA have launched a public service announcement sharing ways you can stay cybersecure this holiday season.
Jen Easterly: Happy holidays everybody! I’m Jen Easterly, Director of the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA).
Bryan Vorndran: Happy holidays! I’m Bryan Vorndran, Assistant Director of the FBI’s Cyber Division.
Jen Easterly: As we enter the holidays, CISA and the FBI would like to share some tips to help our partners stay safe and secure during this holiday season.
Bryan Vorndran: Bad cyber actors aren’t making the same holiday plans as you – in fact, they may see the holidays as a good time to take advantage...
Jen Easterly: ...of the vulnerabilities inside your networks and systems while staffing is low and offices are closed.
Bryan Vorndran: Luckily, there are steps you can take to proactively protect yourself and your business against disruptive or damaging cyberattacks...
Jen Easterly: ...so you can focus on what’s most important, and that is time with family and friends.
Bryan Vorndran: CISA and the FBI encourage IT leaders, and leaders of businesses large and small, to take actions today...
Jen Easterly: ...that will help protect your systems and data:
Bryan Vorndran: Okay first, identify IT security employees for weekends and holidays who would be available to surge...
Jen Easterly: ...during these times in the event of an incident or ransomware attack.
Bryan Vorndran: Next, require all staff to use strong passwords and ensure they use different passwords for each account.
Jen Easterly: And, put multi-factor authentication in place for remote access and administrative accounts.
Bryan Vorndran: In fact, this is a good practice for all your personal online accounts.
Jen Easterly: If you use remote desktop protocol (RDP) or any other potentially risky service, ensure it is secure and monitored.
Bryan Vorndran: Talk with employees about how to recognize Phishing emails and why they should never click on a suspicious link.
Jen Easterly: And finally, review and update your incident response and communications plan.
Bryan Vorndran: We urge network defenders to prepare and remain alert over the upcoming holiday season and to quickly report any suspicious activity.
Jen Easterly: Remember, cyber risk is business risk, and cyber security is national security.
Bryan Vorndran: Together, we can defend America’s values, ingenuity, critical infrastructure, and business equities through robust and enduring partnerships.
Jen Easterly: Ultimately, good cybersecurity is not about technology – it's about people.
Bryan Vorndran: Your cyber safety should be treated like your physical safety.
Jen Easterly: Stay vigilant, take action to protect yourself and trust your instincts.
Bryan Vorndran: If something doesn't look right, there's a good chance it isn't.
Jen Easterly: Let’s work to make sure we can all enjoy some peace of mind this holiday season.
- 03.08.2023 — FBI Jacksonville Diversity Agent Recruitment Event Trailer: Special Agent Alex Silverstein
- 03.08.2023 — FBI Jacksonville Diversity Agent Recruitment Event Trailer: Special Agent Justin Brannon
- 03.08.2023 — FBI Jacksonville Diversity Agent Recruitment Event Trailer: Special Agent Lauren Regucci
- 03.08.2023 — FBI Jacksonville Diversity Agent Recruitment Event Trailer: Special Agent in Charge Sherri Onks
- 03.03.2023 — FBI Pittsburgh joint operation_03032023
- 02.09.2023 — Chinese High-Altitude Balloon Recovery
- 02.06.2023 — Inside The FBI Podcast: For The Love Of Money
- 02.01.2023 — Inside the FBI Podcast: Romance Scams (2021 Rerelease)
- 02.01.2023 — Inside the FBI Podcast: Submitting Tips to the Bureau
- 01.31.2023 — FBI Seattle Discusses Myths of Human Trafficking
- 01.16.2023 — FBI Announces $10,000 Reward for Information Leading to Arrest in Unsolved Murders
- 01.13.2023 — Section Chief Jose Perez on Violent Crime Operations
- 01.12.2023 — Sextortion PSA – Salt Lake City
- 01.10.2023 — Madalina Cojocari Missing Person's Vodcast
- 12.29.2022 — FBI Atlanta: Surveillance in Ebenezer Baptist Church Vandalism Investigation
- 11.22.2022 — FBI Charlotte: Surveillance Video in Crisis Pregnancy Center Arson Investigation (2 of 2)
- 11.21.2022 — B-Roll JCODE Takedown Los Angeles 110122
- 11.18.2022 — FBI Philadelphia: Surveillance Video in Serial Armed Robberies Investigation (September 12, 2022 Robbery)
- 11.18.2022 — FBI Philadelphia: Surveillance Video in Serial Armed Robberies Investigation (October 8, 2022 Robbery)
- 11.15.2022 — FBI Charlotte: Surveillance Video in Crisis Pregnancy Center Arson Investigation (1 of 2)
FBI Weekly Newsletter
Subscribe to our email newsletter for news on the FBI, sent out every week.