Director Thanks Law Enforcement Colleagues in Police Week Message
FBI Director James Comey expressed thanks to law enforcement officers in the U.S. and around the world in a video message released on the first day of the annual Police Week gathering in Washington, D.C.
Hi, I’m Jim Comey, Director of the FBI. On behalf of the men and women of the FBI, I want to recognize and thank all of our law enforcement colleagues, as we honor your service during National Police Week.
I’m proud to come from a law enforcement family. My grandfather, William J. Comey, joined the Yonkers, New York police department as a rookie officer and, over the next forty years, he rose to lead that department. My pop took fierce pride in the integrity of his service and of law enforcement—lessons that made a big impact on me. I have a picture of Pop Comey on my wall at the FBI, looking down at me every day, reminding me of the legacy I’ve inherited and must honor.
All of us who serve in law enforcement carry forward this legacy of integrity and service. We also share a great privilege—we have jobs with moral content. We protect the innocent from harm, we defend the vulnerable, and we bring lawbreakers to justice. We should always remember how lucky we are to get to do good for a living.
Yet this privilege also brings hardships and risks, as each of you know all too well. The demands of your jobs often require great sacrifices from you and your families. You see many difficult and painful things in this work—the suffering of innocent victims, and communities torn apart by crime and violence. Nearly every day, your jobs remind you that life is often cruel and very short--not only for those we protect, but for those of us who serve.
During National Police Week, as we honor those in law enforcement, we also pause to remember our colleagues who have given their lives in the line of duty. We reflect upon their sacrifices…we take strength from their examples of heroism and courage…and we resolve to continue their noble work in their honor.
We in the FBI are honored to stand with each of you as we remember the fallen—and we are proud to continue working side-by-side with you to protect our families and communities. Thanks again for your dedication to justice, and for your service.
- 04.19.2017 — Wanted by the FBI: Top Ten Fugitive Bhadreshkumar Chetanbhai Patel
- 04.18.2017 — Newark Press Conference on Ten Most Wanted Fugitive Walter Yovany Gomez
- 04.12.2017 — Wanted by the FBI: Top Ten Fugitive Walter Yovany Gomez
- 03.27.2017 — Israel Legal Attaché Cary Gleicher Describes the FBI’s Role Overseas
- 03.27.2017 — Israel National Police General Describes Partnership with FBI
- 03.24.2017 — Seeking Information in Pasadena Cheesecake Factory Explosion
- 03.23.2017 — Wanted by the FBI: Missing Woman Amy Lynn Bradley
- 03.23.2017 — Agent Tam Dao Describes Joining FBI
- 03.23.2017 — Agent Hesham Elgamiel Describes Joining FBI
- 03.23.2017 — Agent Alfred Tribble, Jr. Describes Joining FBI
- 03.23.2017 — SAC Perrye K. Turner Describes Importance of Diversity
- 03.23.2017 — Agent Jenelle Janabajal Describes Joining FBI
- 03.21.2017 — Facebook Live Broadcast: Celebrating Black History Month
- 03.21.2017 — FBI Careers: Coolest Stories
- 03.10.2017 — Wanted by the FBI: Seeking Public Tips on Top Ten Fugitive Eduardo Ravelo
- 02.22.2017 — Voice of Unknown Subject in Indiana Double-Murder Investigation
- 02.21.2017 — Flag-Raising Honors Fallen Agent Edwin R. Woodriffe
- 02.13.2017 — Victim of Romance Scam Tells Her Story
- 02.13.2017 — Special Agent Christine Beining Describes Romance Scams
- 02.07.2017 — Facebook Live Broadcast: Women Special Agents