Special Agent W.M.
Retired Special Agent W.M. was the supervisory senior resident agent at the Mon Valley Resident Agency in Pennsylvania. The RA at the time included Shanksville in Somerset County, where terrorists crashed a plane on September 11, 2001.
We didn't have things that were obviously identifiable as aircraft parts.
I saw a lot of honeycomb-looking material on the ground. I believe that was insulation.
One ironic and kind of eerie thing is the Major and I were walking up to the impact crater: the first thing that we saw on the ground that was recognizable as a personal effect was a bible, just lying in the road.
We went on to the impact crater and then we saw a, I believe it was a tire over in the woods. The woods were still on fire and the local fire department were still on the scene to extinguish the flames there.
Every day we were recovering items we believe of possible evidentiary value.
We had two FBI agents who are pilots here in Pittsburgh. And at least once a day they would fly from the Johnstown airport down to D.C. to take evidence that we had recovered from the impact crater.
From an evidentiary standpoint, talking generically, I think we were very, very successful in recovering a number of items of evidentiary value.
Some items that may have been used as weapons.
The first items that I think was of significant evidentiary importance: the evening of 9/11, the first night, a trooper standing post in the vicinity of the crash site found the wallet of one of the hijackers.
And it's amazing, but the things that survived intact and the other things that didn't.
Nobody complained once that I heard about anything. Nobody complained about the long hours, the work we were doing.
I think it, for a lot of people, I think we all took inventory and realized how fortunate we really are.
- 09.18.2019 — My Dynamic Huntsville
- 09.18.2019 — My Unique Huntsville
- 09.18.2019 — Video Loop of The Killing Fields
- 09.18.2019 — FBI Seeking Clues in Texas 'Killing Fields' Murders
- 09.13.2019 — FBI Plea for 9/11 Responders to Register for Health Benefits (Social Media Version)
- 09.11.2019 — Lori's Story: 9/11 Victim's Sister Recalls 'Very Reverent Moment'
- 09.10.2019 — FBI Boston: Armed Robbery of Convenience Store in Dedham, Massachusetts
- 09.06.2019 — 9/11 Memorial at Terrorist Screening Center
- 08.22.2019 — Echoes of Columbine
- 08.16.2019 — FBI Honors Intern Profile: Kendall, Information Management Division
- 08.16.2019 — FBI Honors Intern Profile: Anne, Laboratory Division
- 08.16.2019 — FBI Honors Intern Profile: McKinley, Counterintelligence Division
- 08.16.2019 — FBI Honors Intern Profile: Mary Katelyn, Office of Public Affairs
- 08.09.2019 — FBI Special Agent Reunites with Rescued Newborn, Now Marine, During Retirement Ceremony
- 08.06.2019 — FBI Philadelphia: Armored Car Robbery in University City
- 08.06.2019 — FBI Boston: Arsons at Chabad Centers (Needham)
- 08.06.2019 — FBI Boston: Arsons at Chabad Centers (Arlington)
- 08.06.2019 — FBI’s Operation Independence Day Targets Human Trafficking
- 08.06.2019 — Raw Footage: Operation Independence Day
- 07.30.2019 — FBI Director Wray Speaks at Cyber Security Conference